Combi boiler won't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Vaillant Ecotech Plus combi boiler which is 6 yrs old.

The boiler will not turn off as there is some problem with the dials. Maybe an electrical problem since the boiler works fine and heats up water.

The boiler is on regardless of whether the dial is at On, Timer and Constant modes and also when the water and heating are anything above the minimum setting.

Currently we are turning the water and heating right down to far left of dial turn it off or using the mains switch.

Any ideas how I can get the timer working again? Is this an electrical problem?

Thanks

Melody

Sponsored Links
and your room stat?

oi. that document of yours is enormous.

What page is your timer on?

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the knob spindles have been snapped!

Tell the engineer about that so he can bring some spares.

Are you a tenant then?

John - Sorry there wasn't a picture of the timer on the instructions I sent, it is just a standard timer I think. But all the dials on the front panel do not work. The radiators are constantly really hot at all the settings - low or high.

What do you mean by room stat?

Agile - What are knob spindles? I don't want to call Vaillant if it could be fixed by an electrician. What do you think is the problem? Thanks

Boilers are normally repaired by boiler engineers, not electricians ( who are not gas qualified to even open yours! ).

Tony

OK thanks Tony. So even if is a switch then it is a boiler engineer.

Should I just call Vaillant then?

The boiler works so don't want to spend too much, but obviously it id getting expensive since I can't turn it off!

Are the knob spindles for the front panel?

Thanks

A Vaillant fixed price repair is OK where an expensive part is needed.

You may well have just snapped the knob spindles! They are about £9 each and fairly quick to change IF thats the problem.

Are you a wrestler, cagefighter or other very strong person ?

images

Boiler controls are only strong enough for vey dainty fingers or they snap off to avoid damaging the expensive circuit board !

Tony

There is no thermostat.

The problem is that I can't choose when the heating or whether high or low since the knobs don't work on the front.

Any more ideas or do I call an engineer? Thanks

If you call someone to just service your boiler then they will charge more to do any repairs.

Some firms use people for servicing who dont have the skills of diagnosing faults. They can identify a fault but have to call another engineer to find the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back