combi cylinder - thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a combi cylinder (vented hot water with header tank directly attached) it has two elements (one economy 7 & normal) and I've been told it needs a thermostat, normally I'd expect this to be on the outside of the cylinder.

Do combi cylinders do it another way or do the elements have control built in?

Sponsored Links
for electrically heated water, the stats are inside the immersion heaters.

if the cylinder is connected to a boiler, then boiler stats are usually strap-on and you may need to make an aperture in the insulation to fit one.

The fact you have 2 immersions and one is Eco7 it is a fair assumpsion that there is no boiler and it is a direct cylinder, the stat will cost around £5 and can be changed very easily, 2 wires, isolate electrics to Immersion first, remove cap ( 1 nut ) and undo wires, pull out stat push in new one and wire up, no draining down needed no hassle, plumber will take 10 mins (15 mins with Tea) and charge for one hour so if you're not sure give one a call,

Sponsored Links
If you isolate the leccy, then remove the nut that holds the stat's cover on, you will see it. It's the white part in the photo, with small dial and numbers. Remove the 2 wires from it, and lift it out. Easy to replace. Recommended to set to 60 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back