Combi dhw/shower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Boiler folk.
I need advice.
We have recently had a customer report a fault on a thermostatic shower connected to a roughly 10-15 year old Potterton combi. The shower has been working without problem for about 12 months. The fault is that the shower will run correctly for about 45 seconds then then runs cold for approximately a minute, then warms back up (repeat this sequence ad infinitum). Initially we suspected the thermo cartridge had failed in the shower, but a completely new shower produced the same result. We have also tried a different make of shower on the feeds - same symptoms. The boiler appears to operate ok when dhw taps are turned on full, but if you turn on the hot tap in the kitchen it needs to be about half on before the burner ignites.
The customer has a Corgi Homeplan in place however their engineer states the boiler is functioning perfectly ok.
Am I missing something? Can anyone tell me what the minimum flow rate at a tap should be before the boiler ignites? Help please. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What model of potterton ? at that age I would guess it has a dhw diaphragm and its probably stretched .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies chaps!

Further investigations reveal:
The boiler is a 30HE & about 7 years old.
The boiler engineer has "apparently" replaced the diaphragm in the diverter.

On testing yesterday it took 8lpm at the kitchen tap before the boiler ignites. This seems pretty high?
As the shower had worked for a year prior to this recent problem I'm convinced something has degenerated in the boiler. Trying to get the Homeplan engineer to accept this is like trying to push a watermelon up your nose!
WATCH THIS SPACE.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back