Combi in series with unvented hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 2 bed flat which has an Ideal system boiler coupled with an unvented hot water cylinder. Due to it's location, the boiler has a twin flue setup. The boiler has packed up so I need to have it replaced with another twin-flue boiler. This limits the choice somewhat and I'm thinking of going for a Keston 30kW boiler.

I noticed that the price difference between a system and combi versions is just £100. I'm happy to pay the extra if it can be of any advantage: I'm thinking I could in the future have the HW cylinder removed to free up storage space in the airing cupboard and simplify the plumbing. The Keston should be able to deliver a healthy flow rate for a flat.

My question is: can the combi be installed without connecting the secondary HW pipes in the meantime?

If the anwer is no, the secondary system has to be connected up, I have a secondary question:
Can the output from the HW cylinder be fed into the boiler input so that the two circuits are connected in series?

Sponsored Links
Your first question should be "is the existing flue system compatible with, and approved for use with, the boiler I'm proposing to have installed?". Keston use a very different type of twin flue system to other manufacturers, and you're not allowed to mix and match. It's highly unlikely that the old Ideal system will be approved for use with a Keston.

Having established that, and answer to your next question is that it depends on the boiler manufacturer. Whilst it will work, some will invalidate the warranty if it's not connected up.

The answer to your second question is similar - it depends on the manufacturer and whether they have any limitations on inlet temperature. Either way you'd be better off having the cylinder removed as part of the boiler installation job if that's the way you want to go.

Thanks Muggles. Already asked that first question and know that new flue system needs to be replaced even if new boiler is from Ideal.
The property is a rented flat with tenants in situ. So wanted to keep work mess and duration to minimum.

If you're replacing the flue system anyway then there are much better options out there than the Keston. Have a look at the Intergas Xclusive, which has the advantages of being a combi which can be run as a system boiler with the hot water circuit empty whilst maintaining the 12 year warranty, a simpler overall design with only 4 moving parts, a more robust heat exchanger, has better modulation ratios which will make it cheaper & more reliable to run, has a twin flue option, and isn't a Keston.

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt fit a Keston if I got it for free, and yes I know the new ones are ideal logics, a massive step forward :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back