can I DIY fit a new DHW cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a 3 yr old condensing boiler non combi. Hot water is provided by 20 yr old cylinder fed by cold water from header tank which is heated by boiler and immersion and has what I understand to be a secondary HW flow that feeds a gravity shower. Cylinder now needs replacing - am I allowed to do this myself as a private homeowner ? If so I cannot see standard cylinders with secondary flows - are they special order?

Sponsored Links
You can do it yourself but technically you should then have it inspected and signed off by Building Control as it's a notifiable installation

Gledhill cylinders normally have secondary tappings but you can always check when you pick one up

we have a 3 yr old condensing boiler non combi. Hot water is provided by 20 yr old cylinder fed by cold water from header tank which is heated by boiler and immersion and has what I understand to be a secondary HW flow that feeds a gravity shower. Cylinder now needs replacing - am I allowed to do this myself as a private homeowner ? If so I cannot see standard cylinders with secondary flows - are they special order?
By secondary you mean a pump on a loop to and from the cylinder to make hot water drawn from the taps immediate? Buy a stainless steel cylinder, then it is a case of fit and forget.

If you only have one bathroom, consider a high flow combi. You will liberate a lot of space and have high pressures showers.

Last edited:
Just use a Surrey flange and forget the side tapping for the shower hot.

Sponsored Links
By secondary you mean a pump on a loop to and from the cylinder to make hot water drawn from the taps immediate? Buy a stainless steel cylinder, then it is a case of fit and forget.

If you only have one bathroom, consider a high flow combi. You will liberate a lot of space and have high pressures showers.

we have a main bathroom and ensuite but can enable both not to be used at the same time. I should have had a combi installed at the time - may write this boiler off and get a combi put in - we have a load of agro now with gravity shower with no pump = low flow, an aged cylinder, a 3 yr old boiler that keeps cycling despite efforts by valiant and ch firms and and dhw/ch divert not working. all in all a right old mess from a £2 spend:(

but thanks for info from everyone, the notifying is what i had suspected - i wonder how many people dont bother!

There are high flow combis around. How often do you fill and bath and run a shower? I would say Never.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back