COMBI OR BAXI ?? THAT IS THE QUESTION

Hev

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: :?: :?: :?:

SO the Baxi leaks(pipework could be reattached), the pipework into the cylinder is incorrect(could be enlarged), the 3 year old hot water tank is corroded/ limescale buildup(I guess new tank), there is a buildup in all the pipe work of limescale(good flush out).

The system has been cobbled together , bits added over the past 15 years or so.

Currently we have 1 bath , 1 shower, 3 basins + daily washing machine ( hope to extend and add en-suite).

It has been suggested that rather than try to put this all right - we should spend alot of money (around £2000) on installing a VOKERA linea 24 combi. We would also need to replace our 5 year old shower with one that can run from a COMBI).

However I am concerned about comments I have seen on the WEB about problems with water pressure dropping in summer and the combi not working. Expensive maintenance cost, and build up of scale.

The plumber is long standing and highly thought of with over 30 years experience and a friend (who has just installed a combi in his house). - so I know hes not trying to rip us off - I just need to be conviced that his advise is current and correct.

Sponsored Links
you did say he is a plumber of 30 odd years, and friend why would he lie?

I have a combi, i think it is "MARVELOUS" , turn on the hot tap and within seconds hot water, we also gained more cupboard space (no cyinder) more space in the loft (no tanks)

we also have a lime scale remover "filter" fitted (looks ike an oil filter on a car) but this i am not too sure about since our heat exchanger did get lime scaled. but ours works all year round, the only thing is you may need a bigger combi (perhaps the one suggested is) if you have two things on at the same time, since the incoming water is divided between both.

but all that said over all i still think its Marvelous

A 24 KW COMBI WILL AT BEST GIVE YOU A 40 deg c RIS AT 9LT PER MIN,OR IN OTHER WORDS RAISE YOUR INCOMEING WATER TEMP( today it is 15 here) BY 40deg WITH 2GALL PER MIN COMEING OUT OF YOUR TAP ( thats 55deg today and down to 41deg in worst weather) TRY TO RE-CREATE THIS FLOW RATE AT YOUR TAP,IF ITS NOT ENOUGH THEN YOU WILL WANT A LARGER COMBI. A COMBI WITH A WATER TO WATER HEAT EXCHANGER IS LESS PRONE TO LIME SCALE BUT YOU WILL STILL HAVE TO HAVE SOME LIME SCALE REDUCER FITTED. 28 TO 30 KW BOILERS ARE USUALLY THE BEST PERFORMANCE PER POUND.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back