Combi or Cylinder ?? Help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a boiler in my garage which heats a Boilermate II cylinder in my loft.

It heats 11 rads and I have 2 mixer showers and a bath - I have 3 bedrooms.

I have a leak in the actual cylinder and it needs replaced. My (reliable) plumber has quoted me £1600 (parts & labour) for a replacement. I'm a bit shocked it would come to that much.

Would I be better getting a combi?

If so, what size of combi would you recommend?

My hot water pressure right now is really good, so I'd be looking for an equivalent pressure.

Any ideas ?? :eek:

Sponsored Links
If you've never had probs with your current set up, I can't see anything wrong with having a replacement, these units are not liked by a lot of engineers and as such most will tell you to get a combi.

I would get it changed over to unvented cylinder and heat the rads directly instead of through the thermal store. Would involve some work, but IMHO a good SS unvented cylinder is worth 100 thermal stores..

If you want to downgrade get a storage combi but it won't be as good. It'll be cheaper to fit.

Sponsored Links
stuff like boilermates are good in principal but are a pain in practice I too would go for a good unvented cylinder I have fitted a fair few Santon Premier Plus cylinders and have found them to be very good..

My (new) heating engineer has recommended an unvented Telford cylinder - has anyone got any experience of Telfords. He swears by them ?

He'd prefer unvented to vented...do u agree?

My (new) heating engineer has recommended an unvented Telford cylinder - has anyone got any experience of Telfords. He swears by them ?

He'd prefer unvented to vented...do u agree?

Service a few, OK product, reasonable company to deal with, helpful staff, spares direct if you can't source locally etc. Santon Premier Plus preferred for installs though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back