40kw Combi or Hot Water Cylinder ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Gledhill 125 litre vented indirect tank/cylinder in my loft is leaking and needs replaced. It's been heated by a glow-worm economy plus 40F (max heat output 11kw) boiler in my garage - both about 15 years old.

I'm getting various recommendations from heating engineers, one has said replace with an unvented cylinder (Telford Tempest) and another has recommended a combi system (Baxi Duo-Tec He 40kw)

I've got a 3 bedroomed detached house with 2 mixer showers, a bath and 11 radiators, just me, my wife and baby living here.

Would the baxi 40kw be good enough to ensure good shower / bath pressures/flow and cw heat etc.?

Total price for combi job = £1600
Total price for cylinder job = £1250

Any thoughts ??

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
No they've not physically checked the mains water pressure. It is quite powerful though, approx 3 to 5bar... I think

No they've not physically checked the mains water pressure. It is quite powerful though, approx 3 to 5bar... I think

Then I certainly wouldn't bother calling either of them back. Without checking dynamic pressure and flow rates, those installers have absolutely no way of knowing whether or not you'll be able to achieve the full potential out of either an unvented cylinder or a combi, therefore they shouldn't be recommending those products to you.

Sponsored Links
What is the ideal mains pressure then?

To be fair the guy recommending the baxi duo-tec hasnt been round yet, he's awaiting a call from me to ask him round to check 1st.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back