Best Combi

Not if you get a power cut. Do you have back up generators as well?

I'm proof against a single loss of a supply, but not both in the house. In my drive I have my tourer caravan, with 12v and an independent gas supply, heat and hot water plus a posh shower, does that count?

Sponsored Links
Better to get a trusted installer to advise on your specific situation. Many on here have already decided what you need which is the wrong way to go about it.

Nothing much wrong with expressing an alternative point of view, it would be a very dull world indeed, if we all expressed a single one..

Sponsored Links
Your advice is "anything but a combi". What if a combi is the best solution in this instance?

Actually the article points out reasonably fairly the advantages and disadvantages of each type of system. It doesn't really touch on an individuals specific use of the home, which ought to be a major part of the decision on the type of system needed. I would doubt many open-vented systems would be specified today, where there is presently no system at all.

Quoted from that article...
Where and where not to fit a Combination Boiler

The correct application of the combination boiler is most important, as an ill-fitted boiler will cause untold problems.

The mere fact that most combination boilers have the same output available to the central heating circuit as the domestic hot water can lead to the installation of the boiler in situations which are totally inappropriate for their use.

In a larger than average property the boiler would be suitable for the heating circuit but where numerous hot water outlets or where more than one outlet at a time is likely to be used it would not be suited. (E.G. If a downstairs tap was in use while the shower was in use upstairs the flow rate at the shower outlet would be little more than a trickle).

Another application problem that can occur is when a combination boiler is used as a replacement boiler on an existing system. The radiator valves, pipework and fittings would be subjected to an increased system pressure of two to three times of that before the system was pressurised and thereby lead to an increased risk of water leaks.

Many combination boilers incorporate a low water pressure switch which cause the boiler not to operate if the system pressure is too low for instance if there were a water leak on the system due to inadequate radiators. This would lead the customer to blame the boiler when the actual cause would be down to poor design.

Generally Accepted Sites for Combination Boilers
  • Properties with a single bathroom.
  • Flats.
  • Bedsits.
  • Starter homes.
  • Offices with limited hot water outlets.
Generally Unacceptable Sites for Combination Boilers
  • Large detached properties.
  • Properties with multiple hot water outlets.
  • Bedsits that use one combination boiler to supply several bedsits.
The exception to the above locations would be if the combination boiler were linked to a storage facility (cylinder). When this type of system is adopted it can be seen to defeat the object of the exercise.

Generally Unacceptable Sites for Combination Boilers
  • Large detached properties.
  • Properties with multiple hot water outlets.
  • Bedsits that use one combination boiler to supply several bedsits.
The exception to the above locations would be if the combination boiler were linked to a storage facility (cylinder). When this type of system is adopted it can be seen to defeat the object of the exercise.

What's 'Large'? My 1800 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bathroom home of 25 years with combi, seems to provide all the water and warmth I need... With ease.

What's 'Large'? My 1800 sq ft, 4 bed, 3 bathroom home of 25 years with combi, seems to provide all the water and warmth I need... With ease.
Precisely.. .The shower might go a bit cold for a few seconds if a tap is run.....As oposed to those dumb Gledhill systems etc that keep a huge tank of hot water 24/7 to run a heat exchanger...Keeps the flat/house..Red hot 24/ 7 all through the winter.and Summer!...Knock it off and it takes a while to cool..then delay whilst it reheats ...Combi...poss few secs of cold shower...Stored water heat exchange system...Months of sweating ya nads off...Take ya pick.

Combi breaking down?? Etc....most have 7-10 year warranty....Day or two at most for manufacturer to repair if breakdown..And they aint that unreliable.

Combi breaking down?? Etc....most have 7-10 year warranty....Day or two at most for manufacturer to repair if breakdown..And they aint that unreliable.

You cannot get away from the fact that a combi boiler is more complex and expensive than a heat only. The more there is to go wrong which needs Gas Safe to fix, the more expensive and the more frequent it will need attention. The heating system is under pressure, so leaks are more likely, much more troublesome. These forum pages are full of leaking / sticking divertors and leaking combi CH pipes

Snap. I have a 5 bed home with 1 bathroom, I ensuite and 1 cloakroom. I have a relatively old and small combi and have had no issues with it. I have fitted a PCB in over 20 years and nothing more.

With a combi if there is a water cut you have no water and can only flush the toilet once. With a conventional system you have a tankful of water in the loft to tide you over and flush the toilet many times. Just my 10p worth.

With a combi if there is a water cut you have no water and can only flush the toilet once. With a conventional system you have a tankful of water in the loft to tide you over and flush the toilet many times. Just my 10p worth.
I cant sleep at night worrying about this, the last time my water was cut off was ??? never , and if it was , would we survive ? pretty sure we would manage, better go and fill the bath with cold water just in case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back