Best Combi

Very few installers suggest this but esp for a larger house a combi and cylinder can be very effective- cylinder near the bathroom(s) so no long wait for hot to come through, kitchen tap on the combi so same plus avoids a fair bit of the kitchen/shower hot water interference. Unvented cylinders (if mains pressure/flow are up to it) are good but there's an annual maintenance overhead to consider.
Boilers- my next one will be Intergas, i like the simplicity (no diverter valves or similar bits to fail). TBH most now come with 7+ years warranty (as long as they're serviced)

Sponsored Links
I have a "back up" car. It is a taxi. ( rhymes with Baxi )

can be a serious problem for some people

It could also be seen as being nuts to install a system that wastes gas. All boilers waste a bit of gas when they fire up and shut down, A combi fires up every time a hot tap is turned on, this happens many times a day. Other boilers maybe only fire up 4 or 5 times a day.
So instead.In a small property.keep 20 gallon of hot water just incase you cannot go 24hours in 10years without hot water...Top economics Bernard

can be a serious problem for some people
Lol...I am sure it is Bernard....but then so is wasting money keeping tanks of hot water in case it isneeded 1day in 10 years...Some people think it the end of the world waiting 10secs for water to turn hot!

Sponsored Links
So keep a tank full of water hot for ten years in case it is needed for the odd day!?An immersion heater willnot provide CH if the boiler is off.

The tank full is normally used up at least once per day, the house is normally occupied. I would consider having a combi, if the place was often left unoccupied. No an immersion heater will not provide CH, but a gas fire will warm a room and electric heaters will help in other rooms.

The tank full is normally used up at least once per day, the house is normally occupied. I would consider having a combi, if the place was often left unoccupied. No an immersion heater will not provide CH, but a gas fire will warm a room and electric heaters will help in other rooms.
I am talking in general,if you run off a full tank every day and space is no issue etc...good for you . Combi boilers are not the pile of crap made out by some in here...The built in obsolescence era we live in applies to all appliances etc..Equally.Stored HW is not faultless and financially sensible etc in every case

Lol...I am sure it is Bernard....but then so is wasting money keeping tanks of hot water in case it isneeded 1day in 10 years...Some people think it the end of the world waiting 10secs for water to turn hot!

10 second wasting water and gas and extra wear and tear on the boiler.

Hmm, all interesting points.

Could I therefore ask for recommendations for;
A; A conventional/standard floor standing boiler - direct replace or;
B; A combi boiler, wall mounted for a large 4 bedroom house,mshowervand bath

Installers push combi's simply because they are much simpler and less costly to install. When replacing an open vented with a combi, they can make good money on the copper scrap. Then even more on the return visits to fix the issues.

Nonsense.

Hmm, all interesting points.

Could I therefore ask for recommendations for;
A; A conventional/standard floor standing boiler - direct replace or;
B; A combi boiler, wall mounted for a large 4 bedroom house,mshowervand bath

Better to get a trusted installer to advise on your specific situation. Many on here have already decided what you need which is the wrong way to go about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back