Best Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I've given up on my horrible Potterton boiler & going to get a combi of sufficient capacity for a 4 bedroom house (bath & shower). I can probably get it into the built in garage which is right next to the utility room where the existing boiler is.

Looking for advice on best wall mounted combi boiler of around 35-40Kw capacity.

Or top three recommendation. Anything but Baxi please!

Sponsored Links
Combis are measured by HW usage, no way do you need 35-40KW boiler for your heating unless you live in a castle

Ok, so I've given up on my horrible Potterton boiler & going to get a combi of sufficient capacity for a 4 bedroom house (bath & shower). I can probably get it into the built in garage which is right next to the utility room where the existing boiler is.

Looking for advice on best wall mounted combi boiler of around 35-40Kw capacity.

Or top three recommendation. Anything but Baxi please!
Presumably your Potterton is heat-only, with the necessary ancillaries - pump, header tank, HW cylinder and diverter valve(s). What makes you think a combi is better than just replacing the boiler? (which would probably be much cheaper).

Sponsored Links
Presumably your Potterton is heat-only, with the necessary ancillaries - pump, header tank, HW cylinder and diverter valve(s). What makes you think a combi is better than just replacing the boiler? (which would probably be much cheaper).

So far three suppliers have recommended it and the output, mainly because I have an existing power shower - the existing boiler is free standing and in a cupboard, very difficult to work on and replace. I also like the idea of fresh water in the upstairs taps and getting rid of the HW tank etc. It is a large house.

Again, its a preference, I'm just looking for boiler recommendations. I am open minded however.

again it is about your HW usage, you do not need 40KW for your heating

A significant no. of gas installers recommend combis due to their lack of knowledge installing traditional cylinder based systems (and many are simply scared by a little wiring).
A combi in a 4 bed house...nah. The house deserves better and most future owners would expect more too.
If you think your existing boiler is bad what's going to happen when a combi packs up and you don't even have an immersion heater backup.
What do you mean by a power shower?

Twin pump power shower. Fed from the hw cylinder and storage tank.

On a combi your shower will be fed from the mains...and the existing shower may not be suitable for mains pressures.
Has the mains pressure at various flowrates been checked?
I explained before not to discount a manufacturer...it's the boiler model that's important.

Existing shower, bathroom taps and cisterns are all fine. And ok for mains.

Anyway, I'm really looking for boiler recommendations.

I won't recommend a combi for a 4 bed house....an immersion backup is too important.
What are you going to do when the combi fails and you are left with no hotwater for a day(s).

I won't recommend a combi for a 4 bed house....an immersion backup is too important.
What are you going to do when the combi fails and you are left with no hotwater for a day(s).
Boil the kettle for a day...What a drama queen.

It sometimes isn't just a day and try getting parts over bank holidays.
I've waited a week of more for some parts to come from abroad.
Many of us that repair boilers have tales of boilers being replaced due to slow parts availability.
Boiler repairs aren't like plumbing.

It sometimes isn't just a day and try getting parts over bank holidays.
I've waited a week of more for some parts to come from abroad.
Many of us that repair boilers have tales of boilers being replaced due to slow parts availability.
Boiler repairs aren't like plumbing.
Lol...Thanks for the tips but I have repaired boilers etc for a while..If a combi goes wrong...The vast majority are probably repaired same day or v shortly afterward..IMHO having a backup immersion makes as much sense as having a back up car..Managing without hot water for a day in 10years but planning ones heating system around that possibility is nuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back