Best Combi

I cant sleep at night worrying about this, the last time my water was cut off was ??? never , and if it was , would we survive ?
We had one last year. Thames Water set up a van giving out bottled water to those that wanted it. Great for drinking but not enough to flush the bog.

Sponsored Links
We had one last year. Thames Water set up a van giving out bottled water to those that wanted it. Great for drinking but not enough to flush the bog.
but you are still alive, do you wake up at night worring about that huge turd your wife left for you ?

When there is a burst in the house's potable water system and the stop cock has to be shut OFF a tank of stored non potable water is useful while waiting for the plumber.

Quoting from HERE

We are legally required to supply a minimum water pressure of 7 meters head (0.7 bar) to your boundary stop tap. Pressure is measured in bars and 1 bar will push water to a height of 10 metres to your home.

How does this relate to a system that requires more than 1 bar pressure to operate correctly ?

Until the water company installed a booster pump my cousin's water supply at the kitchen tap for drinking could be very slow. ( she kept a supply of bottled water for the times when the trickle was not enough) The cold water store in the attic would refill slowly over night and supply the non-potable needs of the house during the day.

Her house was one of the highest on cliffs overlooking the sea and holiday makers day time water requirements were reducing pressures in the mains such that the pressure at her house was well below 0.7 bar.

There is a Water Act in law rather than what a local authority will tell you and in the small print some exceptions to supply are permissable.

Safe to say cliff to sea view properties are a tiny fraction of the housing stock.

Sponsored Links
When there is a burst in the house's potable water system and the stop cock has to be shut OFF a tank of stored non potable water is useful while waiting for the plumber.

Quoting from HERE

We are legally required to supply a minimum water pressure of 7 meters head (0.7 bar) to your boundary stop tap. Pressure is measured in bars and 1 bar will push water to a height of 10 metres to your home.

How does this relate to a system that requires more than 1 bar pressure to operate correctly ?

Until the water company installed a booster pump my cousin's water supply at the kitchen tap for drinking could be very slow. ( she kept a supply of bottled water for the times when the trickle was not enough) The cold water store in the attic would refill slowly over night and supply the non-potable needs of the house during the day.

Her house was one of the highest on cliffs overlooking the sea and holiday makers day time water requirements were reducing pressures in the mains such that the pressure at her house was well below 0.7 bar.
What happens if it is a power outage , which is far more likely ?

What happens if it is a power outage , which is far more likely ?

The booster pump in the water supply network cannot pump. The potable water taps in some houses may then revert to being a trickle but the toilets can still be flushed.

And of course boilers will not be able to work.

The booster pump in the water supply network cannot pump. The potable water taps in some houses may then revert to being a trickle but the toilets can still be flushed.

And of course boilers will not be able to work.
Even your J&S Reno ???? what you gonna do ??? will you survive , just teasing mate hope you are well

Lots of people can’t seem to survive well. Last time I had a power outage I walked round the block to see how widespread it was. One family had parked their car with the headlights blazing through the windows. Another were all sitting outside in their 4 by 4 with the engine running.

Me, well I returned home and dug out a camping gas stove, put a pan of water on and made coffee. Found a candle, made a phone call to find out how long it would be off, and then listened to the radio.

just teasing mate hope you are well

The old J&S is working fine, 10 years now. As for me, got the two jabs so all well.

what you gonna do ??? will you survive

There are 13 batteries ( 12 Volt 7.5 Amp/Hr ) on charge and 16 LED flood lights ( 10 Watt 12 Volt ) just waiting for the next power cut.

Their real use is temporary lighting for events like the Village Christmas Fayre

Fit a combi that will heat the hot water tank also.

That way you get to keep your existing pumped shower, but have got freshwater at the taps.

Cylinder will need to be heated once per day an hour before you need it.

Intergas xclusive or eco RF are good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back