combi/shower, desperate parent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the 16 year old regular type boiler (with hot tank in the airing cupboard, and mains feed i.e. no cold tank) in mydaughters top floor flat (3rd floor) is giving trouble, and the shower is very weak indeed. If I buy a new combi will the low shower pressure problems go away, or could it be a blockage to the shower as the pressure FEELS good in the kitchen (only by holding my hand over the taps!) please help, my daughter cant wash her long hair at home!! and I haven't got a clue about all this .The boiler was broke when she moved in , so I dont know how long the shower has been gutless.

Sponsored Links
Which boiler, which cylinder, and which shower?

Rented? owned?.......mains cold to taps and a hot cylinder.......means there must be a cold tank for the cylinder :confused: with a regular boiler as you said................look @ getting a Venturi shower .............costs less than a combi......or even overhaul the existing shower when we know what it is :LOL:

thanks Nige, guess you are right, apparently there is a cold tank on the roof! so I guess this is why shower is nbg but there is good pressure in kitchen (mains fed?)
I've been told, fit a pump to shower or a combi boiler which is mains fed, but will need lotsa work to plumb in, AND"flippin eck"! £1500.......

Sponsored Links
oh, and sorry Softus, I dont know.....the boiler might be "valliant"???the tank is round and full of water (!) and the shower is a dribbly thing from hell.......

sean wiles said:
thanks Nige, guess you are right, apparently there is a cold tank on the roof! so I guess this is why shower is nbg...
Wrong guess - I don't know how many floors there are above your daughter's flat, but there being a cold storage tank/cistern at the top of the block means that the pressure ought to be good, not bad.

I've been told, fit a pump to shower or a combi boiler which is mains fed, but will need lotsa work to plumb in, AND"flippin eck"! 1500.......
Fitting a shower pump will not cost anywhere that amount. However, you should check out whether or not you need the freeholder's permission.

sean wiles said:
the boiler might be "valliant"??the tank is round and full of water (!) and the shower is a dribbly thing from hell.......
Is this really the most specific you can get? :rolleyes:

shes on the top floor! which I spose means low pressure from a tank only a few feet above.......
anyway, looks like we might go for a new combi boiler (ouch! £1500) which should give good shower pressure (mains fed) and be reliable for a few years. (the current boiler is 16 years old so may be unreliable in the future?)

anybody wanna comment?

sean wiles said:
shes on the top floor! which I spose means low pressure from a tank only a few feet above.......
No lower than the pressure in the average house.

anyway, looks like we might go for a new combi boiler (ouch! £1500) which should give good shower pressure (mains fed) and be reliable for a few years. (the current boiler is 16 years old so may be unreliable in the future?)

anybody wanna comment?
My comment is that (a) you seem to be unable to provide the make and model of your boiler, and (b) you seem to be making your mind up about replacing the boiler without basing your decision upon anything in this topic. Wherever you're getting your advice from, I suggest you stick with it rather than flit around spreading sparse information and seeking half-ars*d advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back