Combi vs unvented

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had two plumbers round and both have given conflicting advice.

Basically I’m having a new water main put in to seperate an old lead shared supply with a low flow rate.

Ideally I want two showers to run at the same time because I’m only getting 10l per min at 3.5bar

First plumber says ... fit an unvented cylinder and the hot / cold balancing valve will give you mains pressure. Didn’t say anything about upgrading existing pipes!

Second plumber says ... unvented cylinders are more trouble than they are worth and I should have a bigger combi to replace my 5 year old Bosch CDi 30. This is because it’s impossible to run two showers simultaneously and I would need to upgrade the whole house to 22mm with an invented!

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Second plumber says ... unvented cylinders are more trouble than they are worth and I should have a bigger combi

A stupid statement

This is because it’s impossible to run two showers simultaneously and I would need to upgrade the whole house to 22mm with an invented

Not a totally stupid statement

You won't get two decent showers from a combi no matter what size water main you have.

Please clarify this statement..

At the moment I have two electric showers .. they can’t run at the same time because of the low flow rate. (Ignore the electrical amps issue at the moment, it’s not my intention to try and run them at the same time electrically).

I want to end up having two thermostatic mixers but this move lays the foundations.

My girls are only primary school age so don’t fight over the shower just yet.

Sponsored Links
A stupid statement

Not a totally stupid statement

You won't get two decent showers from a combi no matter what size water main you have.

That’s what I thought hence the lean towards unvented... or there may be a possibility to run one leccy and one mixer?

At 3.5 bar, a new 32mm main will be able to run an unvented cylinder perfectly well. You'll need 22mm cold supply to the cylinder then 22mm to the split point between showers. From there 15mm will probably be fine to the points of use.

Assuming a balanced feed is taken from the safety group to the bathrooms.

Personally I would go with the Unvented. Even if you had a high flow rate combi, the unvented would be able to supply the water at a higher temperature, therefore better showers when mixed with the cold water. Plus the option to have an electrical immersion heater if the boiler breaks down will be invaluble when the kids are older and have even less patience than now.

if you live in a house where you could only have say 15 litres a minute max flow, then a big combi would be fine, if hot water is important and you have the potential to get the higher flow, then go for an Unvented every time.

Immersion heater ... like the good old days

Thanks fellas, I think the unvented is the way to go..... now I just need to find someone to fit one!

Ask neighbours and friends first. If you contact The Intergas Shop, they sell Joule cylinders and may know someone near you that is open minded.

Remember this is a major capital investment in your property and price should be secondary to quality even if it means waiting a while. Anyone that can do this level of work at a drop of a hat should have good reason to be available.

Ask neighbours and friends first. If you contact The Intergas Shop, they sell Joule cylinders and may know someone near you that is open minded.

Remember this is a major capital investment in your property and price should be secondary to quality even if it means waiting a while. Anyone that can do this level of work at a drop of a hat should have good reason to be available.

Thank you and yes I agree ... with unvented what am I signing up for maintenance wise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back