Combiguard unchanged for 2 years - what's the damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time poster.

We had some plumbing work done soon after we moved into our current house.as part of this the plumber changed the CombiGuard filter. I seem to remember a conversation that it would need replacing within 12 months but with everything happening with the move I cannot be sure. For the past 6 months our output from hot water taps has reduced significantly. Having recently recalled said conversation I am making an assumption that the CombiGuard is the most probable cause. Our shower has also been affected (I assume that is what is happening to it) as it has had an inconsistent temperature too for a similar time .

Can anybody tell me the likely consequences of not having changed the Combi Guard? Would the symptoms we are experiencing seem to back my assumption up?

Also, despite maybe not sounding so, I am not completely inept. Would replacing the Combi Guard be a job a layman could do?

I have recently signed up for a HomeServe contract with free boiler service. I assume this would not include replacing the Combi Guard? But would a service include a flush of the Central Heating System.

And finally, would replacing the Combi Guard solve the issue? Or would we need to get the system flushed, etc.?

Lots of questions so any help with any of them appreciated. Have searched the forum for the answers but had no luck. Thank you in advance if you are able to help.

Sponsored Links
The comi-Guard protects your boiler from limescale, it does sound like you may have a limescale problem, I would doubt if any breakdown cover would cover this, I must add however that I live and work in a soft water area and am not the most experienced in lime scale problems so hopefully someone who deals with it on a daily basis may be able to advise you better

Thanks for the response Ian. Am fearing it to be so. Have no idea how much getting it flushed will cost either. I'll add that to my list of questions! Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Have ordered one online from the warehouse (half the price of in store) and will attempt it when it arrives. Any tips?

not a big job to change mate, depending on make some have isolation valves but they are usually ballofix which leak like hell, just turn the water supply off at the main stop cock, release standing pressure by opening a cold water tap then expect some water to be released when you undo the couplings , a decent sized old towel should absorb what will come out, then fit the new one

If it's limescale, which in Berkshire is quite bad, a flush will not clear it. Best to take out the plate heat exchanger (you don't mention which boiler you have so I am assuming you have one) and descale to restore the HW flow.

You may be able to get this done on the homeserve contract, not sure, but worth asking them after you have installed the new Combiguard

Thanks Mark. We're in Newbury and limescale is a real issue. We have a British Gas combiboiler a rebadged Worcester one I uunderstand. (not at home to check the model number). If it's a heat plate that needs changing I will hope it's covered on homeserve and if not have to get a plumber in. Hopefully it won't be too expensive if so. :)

[GALLERY=media, 75733][/GALLERY] [GALLERY=media, 75735][/GALLERY]

Well I tried! Damn limescale was so bad that when I was trying to wrestle the cartridge off the damn thing snapped at the neck. I have done a temporary fix with a cap over the outlet but would appreciate some advice on getting this resplved please. Need to either remove the old cartridge remnants from the fixing (see picture - seemingly impossible, have even considered melting it out so any advice gratefully received). Or I need to purchase a new fitting. Any ideas what it is called or where it is from also gratefully received thank you.

Very much appreciative of help received so far. Thanks to all.

That small screw which was in the back is there to be tightened up and it will release the head

It seems you have been to pry it out !

Put the small screw in and screw it down it will release the broken part .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back