Combination hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,
Speaking to the old man this eve about his new place (that i havent seen yet)
Anyway he was telling me about his hot water setup that neither of us have seen before.
Basically from his description there are two cylinders stacked and both then insulated.
The top one is open top and seems to replace your typical water tank youd have in the attic, it has a ball cock and you can see into it...the bottom one seems to be the same setup as youd have in the airing cupboard, it has a heating element and a heat exchanger coil from the CH system.
The problem he has is basically if he heats the water in the bottom tank it soon loses all its heat to the top tank.
just wondering if this is a setup that some of you guys have seen or not and if it sounds like its plumbed correctly.
My da says the two tanks perfectly fit onto each other and there appears not to be any option to insulate between top and bottom.
Anyway he is on about replacing it with a traditional cylinder and put a tank in the attic, but id like to see if we could get his current system running better first.

it may or may not be worth mentioning that the ball cock valve in the top tank is currently passing and the overflow is constantly trickling as a result.
(a lack of head room he reckons means the whole thing will have to be dismantled just to replace this valve, so hes going to leave it overflow for the time being :( )

EDIT: after a bit of googling the system he has would appear to be a combination cylinder.....should there be insulation between the 2 tanks??

Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back