breezer said:
kevplumb said:
eddie ive just found a magnotron in the cupboard

you can have it free mate

if you come and collect it ;)

dont be silly, if you found it in the cupboard it MUST be TOO small
How big is the cupboard kev? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Arrrgh, just seen the same model for sale on ebay for £20.00 THe grill doesn't work but everything else does. 'kin typical.

argh.gif

Sponsored Links
Hi. I came across this thread when looking for help in fixing my own Panasonic Combination microwave. It worked on non-microwave settings. I took it to our local repair shop, who charged me £5 to tell me it wasn't economically repairable due to a fault on the circuit board.
I thought this unlikely and took the back off myself (easy: 4 screws), and checked each board. No sign of any burn mark. All fuses OK.
It seems you can ignore the high voltage warnings IF microwave has been left unplugged for at least 5 minutes as the capacitor will discharge in this time. Magnetron magnet rings were clearly broken and one segment had become dislodged. Pretty likely therefore this was the cause of the problem.
Quite easily removed, only 4 screws. No fear of microwaves as inactive when disconnected (and left for 5 minutes as above).
Quick internet search for this particular magnetron model (on the label of the component) showed a UK manufacturer (AWI I think) and a guy on ebay. The latter's price was about £33 inc post on a buy-it-now basis, so I did. Arrived 2 days later, brand new, well boxed.

From what I have read the microwaves don't leak out of small gaps as they have a 2.5cm wavelength, which is why the various grids in the door and light stop them getting out. I don't think we DIYers therefore need to worry about not being qualified to fit this kind of device - I'm sure I'm more competent than my local appliance repair shop!

Result - microwave fixed at acceptable cost. Wife happy. Christmas dinner back on schedule. No trip to dump needed. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back