Combination Microwave

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date
AdamW said:
As you have found with your £19.99 microwave, microwaves can be so cheap now that repair is seldom an economic option.

which is what i said in the first place

and as for
Magnatron said:
A new mag from panasonic will be lots, get a pattern one from CPC. Should cost about £30.

think he is talking out of his (insert your own word)

which is why i always say you should never give quotes

Sponsored Links
Yes, but the replacement is not a like for like. The original is a microwave, fan oven and grill, which originally cost £280.00 a replacement on ebay could be around the £150.00 all in, so as you see it is marginally worth it.[/b]

I looked on the CPC site, they do have quite a range of generic magnetrons, for around £30.00 but not it seems the one I require. Typical !!

comments duly noted, but what i said dtill stands. bin it.

you were "quoted" £30 for a magnatron for a microwave which you did not specify (if you did its not in your 1st post) so how can quoting for something which was not known (your particular microwave) be of any use? answer it isn't (which is still the reason i always say we should not quote)

the £30 magnatron says it all when compared to the cost of one for yours, the £30 one probably fits a very small microwave which yours isn't.

Ok so you are sving £50, but wht if its not the magnatron? yess your one doesnt work, but what caused yours to fail, what if you did get a replacement and something else was at fault, or what if the new magnatron only lasted 6 months, (i assume it has a 12 mths g'tee)
what if something else then goes wrong.

for £50 saving on a xx old microwave it is not worth it, and as you have concured, bin it

I think I'll salvage what looks like it might be useful and bin the rest, but I think you're right, it's 3 years old, and if it's not the magnetron then as you allude it is a waste of time money and effort.

Now I'll come clean with the embarrasing bit. The magnetron was guaranteed for 3 years. It failed after 2 years and 6 months (assuming it is the magnetron). The "local" repair centre is unfortunately a long way away, and I'm sorry to say neither I nor the wife had time to take it in. Oh well C'est la vie.

Sponsored Links
Generally the problem with DIY microwave repairs will be persuading anyone to sell you the parts. I am in the domestic appliance repair trade but have sometimes been told that I could only buy microwave spares if I sent them documentary evidence that I was qualified to carry out this work.
The HT capacitors have a built in resistor which will discharge them in about 5 minutes. Obviously a repair engineer can not twiddle his thumbs for 5 minutes while this happens so he shorts out the capacitor to discharge it quickly.

Hi

Breezer

In my defence, I did say "Should cost about £30" this was not a quote, and as you have seen from the CPC site this covers a lot of the mags.

Eddie

Yours is a 1kW mag, which is a powerfull domestic (850W is the norm), and being an invertor system oven will also cost more.

I have been on the road today, so could not check the cost of your mag.

I will have a look Friday.

Fido

I repair mainly commercial:- microwaves, steam combis, dishwashers, icemakers etc with a few domestics microwaves thrown in.
Some companies will ask for a letter head before supplying parts but I have never been asked for anything more.

sorry, you are found guilty as charged :LOL:

Magnatron said:
Hi

Breezer

In my defence, I did say "Should cost about £30" this was not a quote, and as you have seen from the CPC site this covers a lot of the mags.

this is nothing personal you understand, but you did say (as you said that you did say)
Should cost about £30
you directed everyone to the fact that a new magnatron would be "about £30" (which most took to be gospel)
how ever you did not observe item9, item 9 says* that you should't give quotes or prices without seeing the job, you did, and has been proven you were wrong but only because you didn't ask the size of the microwave.
I am only using your error as a very good example of item 9. to which i must say a big thank you.

(*simplified version)

oh and item 9 is here

Hi Breezer

OK, I had not read the rules, but, having read the rules I can say:-

I did not offer a price first, the price was asked for.

The price asked for was for a mag on its own, not the whole job of fitting etc

Having checked today, I can get that mag for under £30.00+V, but, to be fair to the rules re "your position" etc, as a member of the public it would cost £35.00+V, which I think is within the "about" range.

I did not take it personally, you made it personal with:-

Magnatron said:
Hi Breezer

Having checked today, I can get that mag for under £30.00+V, but, to be fair to the rules re "your position" etc, as a member of the public it would cost £35.00+V, which I think is within the "about" range.

Sounds good, I can if necessary pose as a company, i.e I have one, with VAT numbers etc. Could you tell me where I could get it from. Many thanks.

Magnatron said:
Hi Breezer

Calling magnatron, where can I get the mag for under £30.00 + vat ?? Thanks for your help.

kevplumb said:
eddie ive just found a magnotron in the cupboard

you can have it free mate

if you come and collect it ;)

dont be silly, if you found it in the cupboard it MUST be TOO small

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back