Combined bath overflow/pop up waste removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering if anyone can help.

my bath overflow is leaking due to having become loose but i'm having a problem removing the chromed rotary knob that controls the pop up waste. every single instruction video/forum/piece of advice tells me to remove the little retaining screw holding the knob/dial on. however, this particular one doesnt seem to have a retaining screw. I checked and double checked and no screw, using a large screwdriver i've tried prising it off but that didnt work but did allow me to see a bit more inside and i cant see anything holding the dial in place, just a central spigot in the middle that its somehow affixed to????
no brand or manufacturer name anywhere to be found and nothing that I can see on the other side of the mechanism (at the top of the overflow pipe) holding it in place either.

any advice most welcome. pictures below.
IMG_20200314_144203.jpg
IMG_20200314_144540.jpg
IMG_20200314_144827.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have a look all the way around the chrome knob, should be a small hole.

Sponsored Links
Thank for the replies (and speed of replies as well!).

No amount of trying to prise off or loosen in any direction worked. So in the end I just tightened the white plastic as much as I could from what I could get hold of.
Needs to run a full bath to check properly but seems to be sealing.

Still seems a ridiculous design to me.

Did you manage to remove the cover? I have the same issue with a loose fitting pop up overflow there is no screw hole in the cover to remove it . I have managed to tighten the plastic behind it but I think it needs the cover removed to tighten properly. Does anyone know how to do this when there is no grub screws ?

It will Just pull off if there is no grub screw. Often requires two ,wide ,levers . One on each side, left and right, of the chrome knob ,to use leverage to free it.

I have never seen one that screws off. It either had a grub screw ,or it is a push on / pull off. And I have fitted quite a few.
Given the fact that it is turned clockwise and anticlockwise frequently ,it would be a fairly ridiculous design for it to be threaded !!

Yes that makes sense. Many thanks for your help.

Thanks for the benefit of your experience - it gave me the confidence to go for it, It didn't half take some balanced prising (two big spoons wrapped in cloth) but in the end it popped off. So chuffed I forgot to take a pic before tightening the nut that holds the unit to the bath and popping the dial cap back on (again, with no small effort involved). Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back