Combined Manhole Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of manhole is this called, if it even has a name?

We have been replacing the pipe that will be going under our new extension. I’ve posted previously about them leaking for advice. After chatting with the neighbours several of them have had collapsed drains and problems with leaking etc. So thought I’d expose the rest to be doubly sure. Turns out the storm drain is cracked going into the manhole, which is under the benching and has that lid on it. Currently looking at options for repairing/replacing it. Not an option to cut the pipe prior to the manhole as the crack is too close so I won’t get a seal. How hard is it going to be to break the benching to fit a new piece of pipe? Running my fingers round suggests the crack goes quite close to the wall of the manhole.

Many thanks

991DB0F1-8025-44BE-A962-6381C0FFF4AB.jpeg

81FAF6F1-6571-4FC2-AA86-C6C77C856B34.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't fancy your chances of breaking that benching out without damaging a lot more than you intended to replace. I think you've 2 options possibly, one is to cut the pipe where you can and use a McAlpine DC1 or similar to change to plastic, or two, if that is all the damage apparent, dig away a bit more soil to give yourself access then wrap the pipe with a good few turns of Denso Tape to seal it.

What kind of manhole is this called, if it even has a name?

We have been replacing the pipe that will be going under our new extension. I’ve posted previously about them leaking for advice. After chatting with the neighbours several of them have had collapsed drains and problems with leaking etc. So thought I’d expose the rest to be doubly sure. Turns out the storm drain is cracked going into the manhole, which is under the benching and has that lid on it. Currently looking at options for repairing/replacing it. Not an option to cut the pipe prior to the manhole as the crack is too close so I won’t get a seal. How hard is it going to be to break the benching to fit a new piece of pipe? Running my fingers round suggests the crack goes quite close to the wall of the manhole.

Many thanks

View attachment 273028

View attachment 273027
Never seen one like that ! so the storm drain drops down under that plug. And the foul runs normally in the channel . I would seal as much of the crack as possible with something like "sticks like s***" then encase the lot with concrete;)

Sponsored Links
Stupid question, more to satisfy curiosity than a suggestion.

For the cracked section, could you excavate round it, add some shuttering and entomb it in concrete? Wouldn't that seal the crack

Concrete sounds like the best option. Never thought of doing that. Thanks guys.

Edit. Normal concrete or mix something like a sharp sand and cement hard mix as if I were redoing the benching?

Turn out I got very lucky. Cut the collar off, very carefully took the broken piece off and was able to clean up the face back enough to still get the clay to plastic coupler on without a lip.

Thanks for all the suggestions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back