Combined washing m/c and sink waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our last house the washing machine drained into its own standpipe. In the current house (rented, so no chance of changing things) there is a side-tube just above the bottom of the 'u'-bend under the kitchen sink drain.

The waste pipe hooks up to it just fine, but I'm a little concerned about water feeding back into the washing machine (potentially full of clean washing) if, for example, we were to pour a lot of dirty water down the sink.

Because of space-constraints in the cupboard under the sink, there\\\'s no way I can get the highest point of the waste pipe any higher than the underside of the sink.

Is there some kind of non-return valve which can be fitted in-line with the waste pipe to ensure that water only flows out of the washing machine? I've seen "anti-syphon" devices, but I'm not sure that's exactly what I need.

Sponsored Links
Anti - syphon valves are designed for excessivly long lenghts of waste hose (stops all the water being syphoned out of washing machine during a partial drain)

Just extend hose enough to tie up to worktop level and prevent sink water backflowing.

Go to a good plumbers merchant - get a coupling piece, lenght of corrugated hose and the rubber coupling for each end (these screw into the corrugated hose - seal with silicon)

Shropshire_Andy said:

Is there some kind of non-return valve which can be fitted in-line with the waste pipe to ensure that water only flows out of the washing machine? .
.......not for waste water :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back