commercial shop electrics

The saving grace of course, is that accidents are very, very rare. As you describe it is still OK as it would require a double fault to be dangerous, i.e. bothe a broken earth cable, and also failed insulation in applience. Remember a lot of the developing world uses class 0 (metal case, not double insulated, not earthed) and accidents are still moderately rare.
(I think even in India, which has the hairiest of all electrical installation quality I have ever had the pleasure (?) of connecting to, I believe from a population of roughly 1000,000,000 on average only one person is electrocuted every 15 to 20 minutes. To put that in perspective, they have nearly one quarter million road deaths a year, which may be why they don't see electricity as the highest priority. )
Coming back to the plot, if you add an RCD, it needs a triple fault to be dangerous. The accepted design practice in the western world, is that double fault to be dangerous is enough to have taken adequate care.
However, you really should know how to operate and reset the fire alarm, there are legal implications if you are lever left holding the fort.

Sponsored Links
The thing with this company is that managers are moved around quite often, and therefore none of them know when the last fire test was carried out, or where to record it, and where the keys are, etc. All the shops have slightly different fire alarms. It is jobs like this that get put on the back burner, so to speak. Probably there should be a sheet above each fire control panel that shows when it was tested etc, but these just get pulled down and put at the back of filing cabinets, or behind them!

I am trained, sort of, in evacuation. Get all customers out of the front door, if this is blocked, out the back door. And i know where the fire extinguishers are, and which one to use for different fires. When i have my own shop, i will make sure all these things are taught to all the staff properly, and we have fire teste every 6 months etc. ;)

The front shutters are the type that have a metal turn-keyswitch at the side of them outside, though some of the shops have remote controls. Dont see why these would need an override. There is a manual winding rod if the power is off etc.

You should have a maintenance contract with a company that service firealarms.

I am supprised your insurance or landlard doesn't require this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back