commercial to residential conversion questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but after having a read through can see there are a lot of knowledgeable people that i would be very grateful to get some advice off.

I am currently looking at a detached solid brick built commercial property with a view to converting it into a single residential property. It was previously used as light industrial. I have briefly spoken to the council regarding planning permission on the property and they have asked me to submit a pre application enquiries. The only thing they have stated so far is that i would need to provide evidence that the property was advertised as commercial for a minimum of 6 months to support existing planning policies about taking potential employment in the area.

My questions are all about after planning permission has been granted.

1. Am I able to live in the property while work is being carried out as there is currently toilets, kitchen, heating and electrics.

2. There are various grants for solid wall insulation that I could potentially apply for once planning permission has been granted on the property. One of the conditions of the grant is to be currently living in the property which brings me back to question one.

This is a home to live in for myself and partner so we are not looking to resell after complete, I would just like to reduce costs as much as possible for the project to make it more achievable. I am sure that there are some great ways to get grants and reduce costs by playing by the rules and would love to hear of any advice or experience other people have had.

I would be more than happy to show photos and plans of current building and proposed building if needed.

Sponsored Links
Be careful as it can get expensive. Definitely seek pre-application advice because at the of the day, you are creating an additional residential unit, which may attract affordable housing, infrastructure contributions, etc... I was involved in a similar project where the Council requested contributions at approx. £10k either before Planning was granted or prior to the building works commencing.

1. Am I able to live in the property while work is being carried out as there is currently toilets, kitchen, heating and electrics.

Before you apply for change of use, you could live in the property as on-site security on commercial property. You would have to pay business rates on the occupied part.

Once you have change of use, you could not live in it as a dwelling until you have a building regs completion certificate, unless you can get a certificate for temporary occupation from the council.

(You will need to provide a bath or shower to make it habitable.)

Be careful as it can get expensive. Definitely seek pre-application advice because at the of the day, you are creating an additional residential unit, which may attract affordable housing, infrastructure contributions, etc... I was involved in a similar project where the Council requested contributions at approx. £10k either before Planning was granted or prior to the building works commencing.

are you aware that there is now a CIL exemption for self builders, and shortly expected to be a similar exemption for S106 for self builders in areas where the council hasn't implemented the CIL

Sponsored Links
only thing they have stated so far is that i would need to provide evidence that the property was advertised as commercial for a minimum of 6 months to support existing planning policies about taking potential employment in the area.

My questions are all about after planning permission has been granted.

2. There are various grants for solid wall insulation that I could potentially apply for once planning permission has been granted on the property. One of the conditions of the grant is to be currently living in the property which brings me back to question one.

I would be more than happy to show photos and plans of current building and proposed building if needed.

similar for mine, the consultants that twisted the council's arm into giving permission used a 18month report from the estate agent to prove lack of commercial viability. One thing I've often wonderd though, if use class B2 can be changed to B1 as permitted development, and B1a can be pd to C3 subject to some prior approval, why do people not go down that route..

1 probably not unless you get permission to do so as part of your planning app

2 it probably only applies to dwellings, of which yours isn't until you complete it

id be keen to see what you're converting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back