Convert Pub to Residential / Shop

2 Aug 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am planning to buy a building which has got the ground floor pub (the pub is closed) and the first floor is a residential flat.

My intention is to buy it and convert the ground floor as well to a Residential Flat. It has no planning permission yet.

The seller wants to complete the sale as quickly as possible. So, he does not want to wait for the planning to be approved.

After buying the property, when I apply for the change of use to Residential Flat, if the permission is refused, then do I need planning permission to convert the ground floor area to Shop? The current classes are - A3/A4/A5.
Sponsored Links
Are things that tight that you need to rely on a DIY site for advice?
we had a pub in our local village , and they got planning permission for residence , after a few years of refusals and appeals , on the carpark/garden area and an old very poorly constructed unit, which was a pet store, only.
They were not allowed planning for the pub and had to try and sell the pub as a going concern, i think that was also par of the appeal planning approval .(the pub had multiple owners in the past and never really seemed to make it, although with no carpark or garden now it was very unlikely to sell ) it was on the market for maybe a year, and after about 18months they did eventually convert and still doing the conversion.

That at least was the story locally and in papers and social media

So personally i would be very careful with what the planning may allow , and you may have to go through a lot of appeals etc
Sponsored Links
If I understand it, this is a pub with no outside space.
If that is correct, then I would divide up the pub internally convert it to short term holiday lets (sui generis). That way no external amenity space is needed. Only C3 houses need amenity space.
A pub now falls under class E and most likely does not require planning permission for conversion to dwellings or to a shop. There are of course restrictions and details that need to be checked. I suggest you take advice.

PS, change to dwelling will require a prior notification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local