Common boiler faults guide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

is there any guide/booklet you can buy that indicates common faults on particular boilers?

For example, common faults on Potterton Surpimas, etc etc?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
will they just give info over phone? I have been working as an installer with a company and would like to switch over to breakdown and service side. I have doe heating repairs but want to get better. I have been on a few MI courses and read a lot of manuals but just wondered if there were any bookelts etc out there for engineers on common faults for different boilers to help?

will they just give info over phone? I have been working as an installer with a company and would like to switch over to breakdown and service side. I have doe heating repairs but want to get better. I have been on a few MI courses and read a lot of manuals but just wondered if there were any bookelts etc out there for engineers on common faults for different boilers to help?

You would be best advised to join the CC than there are a number of manufaturer based fellas in there , that either work for , or used to , or are service engineers for manu's !

Two excellent books my apprentices use
1) central heating fault finding and repair isbn 0-9546013-0-0
2) as above combi boilers 0-9546013-1-9
both by john reginald

agree with above comments but these books are value tools on the basics! Hope these help

i think your best bets to throw yourself into the deep end
would you be self employed taking on your own repairs or working within a company?
what about going to a fault finding course about component testing and boiler sequences?
buy a netbook keep it with you and when you come to a fault code search the DIYnot forum and chances are you'll find someone else whos had the same fault and point you where to look

Ray

are there any good courses available?

I'd be with a company.

How do you get online if you're in someone's house or in the van?!

No those books don't give common faults on particular boilers, they give you the tools to test all components within the boiler , what each component does and how! I reckon you could stand in front of any boiler/system and fault find well using these two books!

are there any good courses available?

I'd be with a company.

How do you get online if you're in someone's house or in the van?!

a £15 bluetooth dongle into the side of your netbook with a 3G net connection with DIYnot in your favorites.
Yeah fault finding courses can be good if you go to the correct one. first one i did with the company i started with was at the BG trainning centre and lasted a week but was very good and probably invaluable for kick starting fault finding but see loads advertised in the back of the gassafe magazine

Ray

Poolebybirth, while I applaud your quest for better understanding of boiler systems, I suggest you leave the boiler repairs to registered gas installers and repair persons. Your posts would suggest you are an end user rather than someone who is employed as a RGI.

Read the MIs. These will give you better understanding og how your boiler works. You need to have a CORGI number to get info from maker's technical help desk or to attend their boiler courses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back