Communal soil pipe advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

This forum has been my source of some valuable information for me over the years, I've got a problem with a soil pipe which is in the position of a doorway to an extension I'm planning on adding to a ground floor garden flat in London. I'd like to move to soil stack to round a corner of brickwork to an alternative position (highlighted red) but not sure what effect (if any) it will have on the soils to the WC of the three flats above. It's a Victorian conversion and the current soil are almost past their shelf life. I've also added the area that the proposed extension will sit and circled the WC soils which come out of the back of the building.

Any help would be greatly received and appreciated......thanks in advance!!

Michael

Attachments

• InkedIMG_8210_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_8210_LI.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 138
  • InkedIMG_8215_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_8215_LI.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 126
  • InkedIMG_8280_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_8280_LI.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 123
  • InkedIMG_8282_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_8282_LI.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
Interesting ...... The sewer below ground is the responsibility of the water company as it is a shared sewer ( serving more than one property ).

Does a pipe above ground that serves more than one flat become the water company's responsibility. It is after all is said shared between the flats.

Or does a block of flats count as only one property.

Best to ask the water company.

Last edited:
Only becomes the Water Co's asset when it gets underground, I suspect the drain is theirs though as it serves several properties.

I think your best option will be to put a new full height stack in at the new position, and then reroute the branches from each flat into it. Putting bends in to divert the existing stack, especially when waste is dropping from that height, may not be allowed, and if stack is that old and brittle, it may not take kindly to being messed about with. Speak to Building Control and see what they'll allow.

Thanks guys, I'd be looking at fitting a new stack and ancillary waste pipes but wasn't sure if adding two ninety degree bends next to each other to connect to the new soil stack position back to the WC would cause potential blockage issues?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I'd be looking at fitting a new stack and ancillary waste pipes but wasn't sure if adding two ninety degree bends next to each other to connect to the new soil stack position back to the WC would cause potential blockage issues?

90 bends externally shouldn't be too much of an issue if the correct fall is used.

Thanks
90s are ok as long as they can be cleared, but the poo will move slowly around the bends. you could do two 45s instead and side step the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back