Complete bathroom Redo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oki i've finally got started on my bathroom project.
I got rather bogged down end of last week running a new 22mm main to my Megaflo instead of the 15mm one that was there.
I now have in excess of 2.25 bar and 28 ltr/minute to the new shower valve.
I have bought one of those very large round heads (matki) so i think it was worth it.
eek my nice kitchen floor
all back down nice and sealed with intumscent firecheck sealant

repiped megaflo i played with idea of repiping the hot and cold in 22mm but they only serve the one bathroom and the piperuns are short 2mtrs so i kept them in 15mm

my yucky bathroom

That be water damage then

Why oh why the (plumber0 who fitted this orginally had used an s trap of a kitchen sink. Now im hoping it wasnt to get a deapseal i guess ill find out in due course. Communal soilstack (im 2nd floor)

Gotta love carbide tipped jigsaw blades made very short work of stiping the boards.
Drying out overnight aquapanel in the morning

Damm i could do with a bath! DOH!

Oh i wonder if i re-connect this !

Sponsored Links

spent most of the day going down to sussex to pick up the travertine.

Now contemplating unloading 1/2 ton of it into my flat :(

Decided i need to be clean so quick bath.

Btw dont try this i got away with it as its a £500 bette bath that weighs a ton.

Oh i found out the flank wall looks to be skimmed over artex! I'm wondering if i should conterbatten that wall and put up backer any thoughts be appreciated.

Its not cast its a supersteel. Reason its so expensive was its 1800 long by 700 wide and its very thick steel. Most long baths are wider.
My bathrrom has a central doorway and we have already set the doorlining over 30mm so that the bath no longer has to be 25mm inside the wall.
However its heat retention is amazing, i had a bath, then moved my travertine from ground floor and an hour and twenty minutes later the water was still warm enough to get back in :)

Sponsored Links
Got a few hours saturday evening to fit taps

Annoying i put them in dead level and right depth then realised they were 10mm out of dead centre of the bath so i moved them again. The laser does'nt lie.

just do shower valve next and sort out the crappy drylineg electric socket boxes in the wall then i can tack with backerboard.

Just to add a comment re baths. Cast iron are streets ahaed of acrylic in terms of heat retention and strenth. I finished up with the best compromise - Idealcast - this is an acrylic bath with an thick epoxy backing - the advertising says " an acrylic bath that thinks its cast iron"

yes... progress is mighty slow.
Ive finally fitted the hansgrohe flexiplus waste system and levelled and sealed the bath in.
Oh and i sold my existing toilet to a builder so now i have a toilet without a cistern and a bucket!
Ive ordered my wall hung toilet and im thinking about how to counterbalance a 20kg marble drum basin in midair.
Hopefully ill get tiling over the xmas break.
Still working 6 days an week and sometimes 7..

Recession... not for plumbers !

Only just looked at this project, really enjoyable. Can't wait for the next episode.

Finally some time to do the bathroom..

stripped out rest of boxings and removed basin etc

removed the hardboard to find some rather higgedly old boards

removed last of plasterboard

removed the floorboards luckily they run the right way to allow me to leave enough in under the bath :) That funny board support was put in to support a board join.

im sure that wall should have been built on the plate joists, i managed to cut em quite square with me makita lxt reprocitaing saw blade reversed and guard removed

oki to explain this photo i live in a converted victorian house that was made into 5 flats/apartments in 1994. The floor is made up of the original 9" joists plus an additional 9" accoustic baffle under that insulated with rockwool.
However they seem to have completly disregarded fire regulations by punching through both levels with air ducts, soil pipes etc. If the flat below had a fire it would have most certainly spread into my property. I don't think im gonna be able to fit intumescent collars to the soild but im gonna make up some type off fire break around the entry points.

That the flats below main electrics coming in visible to me ! and my bath waste goes into the soil in his flat

flats belows bathroom extract fan running in my floor void. no firebreak .nothing

I picked up some 75mm cavity wall insulation slabs from wickes. put 2 layers in so 150mm of insulation should make my neighbour happy.
Toilet still on a movable temporary featuring the bucketflush !

i get the level out and find the 2 joist nearest the wall are 5-6mm higher than the rest of the joists. eeeek. I consider reducing the joist but conclude it will be much easier to route out the back of the ply sheet. :)

and finally the main reason my bathroom project stalled the new family pet. Does not live with me, but still expects me to take it walkies every day lol. 6 months old yesterday.

Few more pics..
Tried in vain to purchase intusmescent fire collars. Created a firebreak with tons of rockwool slabs and then built a 2 sided box with offcuts of aquapanel board ( is grade 0 fireproof apprently is damm good) and sealed with intumescent sealant. The plan was if a fire did start in the flat below and the 4" soil that feeds the bathroom fan did melt then the rockwool slab and the aquapanel would drop down and seal the hole. I think if it gets to that point then the whole building is a gonna. We have main powered smoke alarms and the main county station is like 4 mins away.

Reran the bath waste below the floor. made up another firebox and sealed round the soil as best i could.

if you spray it with water it grows!!! almost filled that void completly!

Finished the nogins finally !

Decided the hot and cold come up in the wrong place.. Design changes daily as its all in my head lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back