Complex internal wall crack - need help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed regarding how to fix a long crack on a internal wall.

The house is of victorian era and has been rennovated with additional rooms added over the past 20 years. We purchased the property 3 years ago.

The problem wall is in the living area. The wall is brick, sits upon bluestone and is part of the original house. The neighbours house used to be attached to this wall on the other side. It has since been demolished but the neighbour has kept the brick wall and has covered it with steel cladding which forms a back drop to their garden (see image 1 & 2 attached).

There are 2 laminated pieces of F17 that hold up part of the ceiling in the living room and are supported by this brick wall. There is a crack that has developed around this beam and the crack runs down to the floor - see images 3,4,5. There is also rising damp along the base of this wall which has made the plaster bubble and the paint fall off. The crack has opened up just above the floor where it reaches the dampness (see image 4).

I need to try to fix the problem of the rising damp and also the crack?

I hope you might be able to help me.

Cheers
Melanie

View media item 21695 View media item 21696 View media item 21697 View media item 21698 View media item 21699

Sponsored Links
your house is falling down run!last pic looks like load bearin beam above to much weight on a light footing,its a structural enginear no a plasterer for you cobber!

As per external above , looks like you need a structural rather than cosmetic solution - but it may not be too bad.

Not qualified but perhaps engineering brick pier done past footings to support beam, perhaps with pad stones., then worry about the finish.

Perhaps wall is not toothed/tied in? Hope you can sort it out, look in other sections, then come back for help with the finishing

Advice needed regarding how to fix a long crack on a internal wall.

The house is of victorian era and has been rennovated with additional rooms added over the past 20 years. We purchased the property 3 years ago.

The problem wall is in the living area. The wall is brick, sits upon bluestone and is part of the original house. The neighbours house used to be attached to this wall on the other side. It has since been demolished but the neighbour has kept the brick wall and has covered it with steel cladding which forms a back drop to their garden (see image 1 & 2 attached).

There are 2 laminated pieces of F17 that hold up part of the ceiling in the living room and are supported by this brick wall. There is a crack that has developed around this beam and the crack runs down to the floor - see images 3,4,5. There is also rising damp along the base of this wall which has made the plaster bubble and the paint fall off. The crack has opened up just above the floor where it reaches the dampness (see image 4).

I need to try to fix the problem of the rising damp and also the crack?

I hope you might be able to help me.

Cheers
Melanie

View media item 21695 View media item 21696 View media item 21697 View media item 21698 View media item 21699

Sponsored Links
thinking about it if that cracks gone down thru the footing and broke you dpc prolly were the damp gets in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back