Cracks in wall. Can I plaster over???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Recently started decorating preparing for an on suite bathroom. Upon removing the wallpaper came across this crack In the wall. The crack is not just in the plaster but also in the underlying brick work. I've checked out side the house on the external walls and there is no visible cracks that I can see. I want to plaster these internal walls, but I need to know if I would have to repair the crack in the wall first..i.e. Removing all the old plaster filling the cracks and the re-plastering over, or would I just be able to plaster over the existing wall seen in the image.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as this is my first home and I'd like to make sure I get it right first time :(

Thank you!!

Image located below

Sponsored Links
Yea thought as much! Under closer inspection seems like the crack runs down the entire length of the room, a whole 19 feet! :cry: seems like I have quite a bit of work on my hands! Been in contact with a builder and they've said the same, have someone coming out this week to have a look, thank you for your advice, much appreciated!

To speculate: The hip rafter is probably the cause of the cracking. Hips should be tied-in to the wall plates (to prevent the hip from spreading) and the wall plates should have restraint straps.
Check the other hip corner position for any movement or cracking.

I can see what might be a hip tie (AKA a Dragon Tie) but if the wall plates are moving the hip and tie will move with them. Pre-war houses rarely had wall plate restraints.

Does you roof have concrete tiles but used to have slate?

You would need eyes on site to confirm the above but typically the best thing to do is a little remedial work with the cracks.

Sponsored Links
They look like thermal movement cracks to me. I'd just fill them and scrim them and skim them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back