Composite door frame flush with floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About to order a composite front door to fit myself. However, I was wondering how I'd go about ensuring there is minimal lip on the bottom of the door frame. Currently, you've got to step over it and its a bit rubbish. I feel like it'd look a lot better being almost flush with the floor (will open inwards so appreciate I need a small lip just so the door will open). Is that a standard thing to do or is it likely to lead to other issues? I'm assuming I just need to make the frame slightly bigger so the door sits lower in the overall opening?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Yes that’s fine.

You need the brickwork below the door cill to be a bit lower than the finished floor level.

To work out the size, measure from the head of the door down to the finished floor level.

Then find out the thickness of the new door threshold and add that to your measurement.

Then deduct say 15 to 20mm - which is how much you want the bottom of door to be above floor.

Note you might need to remove a row of bricks, then put back a split course or mortar to fill gap.

Yes that’s fine.

You need the brickwork below the door cill to be a bit lower than the finished floor level.

To work out the size, measure from the head of the door down to the finished floor level.

Then find out the thickness of the new door threshold and add that to your measurement.

Then deduct say 15 to 20mm - which is how much you want the bottom of door to be above floor.

Note you might need to remove a row of bricks, then put back a split course or mortar to fill gap.
Thanks! Good to know I was on the right track. There is a fair amount of mortar underneath So thinking I can just cut into that. Only need another 20/30mm.

How about using a wheelchair threshols..they are normally about 10mm,and it can then sit on the exisitng floor

Sponsored Links
How about using a wheelchair threshols..they are normally about 10mm,and it can then sit on the exisitng floor
Was considering that but the one I’m ordering comes with a low profile bottom edge which is only 11mm. Much less than I thought when I asked the question. So as long as I can line it up well it should be ok. Thanks for the suggestion though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back