Composite door not closing properly and draught

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I had a new composite door fitted in August last year and apart from a draught around the latch area (will get onto this shortly) the door opened and closed perfectly. However, around Jan time, when I closed the door (without lifting handle up), the latch engaged into the keep but I could still move the door forwards and backwards slightly. When I lifted the handle up the, the top and bottom latch engaged and the door closed firmly. This only happens when the sun (south facing) goes on it. Come the later afternoon, the door closes and latches in fine. If I adjust the keep, the door then closes fine but I can't doing this every day. I know it is probably to do with heat but I just can't understand what section is causing the door to not sit tight in the frame.

My second issue, is that there is a noticeable draught around the latch area. It does seem this section of the door doesn't sit as well to the trim compared to the top and bottom. I have put some thick (5mm) insulation tape on the actual door and that stops it but doesn't look great. It is not coming through the keyhole as I have tried this.

Any suggestions would be great. Thank you

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on composite doors, however upvc doors sometimes have slight movement when only the latch is holding it shut. When the locking mechanism is engaged i.e. pulling handle up, this draws the door in and it's then a tight (non movable) fit top to bottom. As for the draught around the latch area, that could be an issue with slight gaps in the gasket.

I tend to agree with herts p&d though, given it's only been installed for a few months, I'd be getting the installer back to rectify any issues.

Sponsored Links
Agree with both above about the draught round the latch area BUT as diy-fun-uk says , a door isn't considered to be airtight / closed until the handle is closed and all the locking points enagaged , it is at this point and at this point only that full compression on the gaskets can be achieved, if the top and bottom ' hooks' aren't latched then there will always be movement, and also a huge potential for warping ( certain colours only ) , your installer should have explained this at the time but many don't, NO manufacturer will honour a warranty on a door unless handles are pulled up to achieve compression...this is the same on UPVC , compression/airtight is not achieved until the locks are engaed . My guess would be its because both Composite and Upvc doors are light and move easily in a strong wind , and also are much more subject to contraction and expansion due to the type of material they are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back