Multipoint Door Lock Keeps Latching Itself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m new to this forum and have a problem that I have searched for but doesn’t seem to have been covered so far.
I have a multipoint door lock that’s started latching itself when the door is opened. When you go to close it the latches are out so you have to push and keep the handle down to retract the latches and close the door.
Normally the latches only pop out when the handle is lifted upwards but now , unless you do it really slowly the latches pop out as you release the handle back up to the horizontal position.
Any ideas what could be wrong and if I can adjust anything?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is known, normally a sign of wear in the centre gearbox springs that retain stuff in the retracted position, with the weight of the hooks they tend to flop out on their own, I took a guess at yours having hooks

Hi, Yes mine has the hooks. It’s a MACO E92 I think.
Can the springs be replaced or is a new unit required?

Sponsored Links
OK, I managed a temporary fix. Put a small rubber o-ring over one of the fixing screws so that it compressed against the slide bar a bit and caused some resistance. Added a drop of grease and it doesn’t self latch anymore but can still lock by lifting the handle. No idea how long this’ll last but we’ll see and I’ll replace the gearbox when it goes again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back