Interior door latch doesn’t return

A f

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have moved into a flat and none of the latches (bolts) on the interior doors automatically spring back after I operate (and release) the handle.

If I push the latch (bolt) into the door, it also doesn’t return fully. Sometimes it returns part way.

I’ve removed the handles and now when I push the latch it springs back freely.

When it’s built up again the latch (bolt) gets stuck again but the handles return to their proper position.

any advice? thanks!

Sponsored Links
What is probably happening is that the [Square] "spindle" the bit that connects the two handles is jamming or is in some way stopping the latch from returning.

Suggest you insert the spindle, hang the two handles on to the spindle, and starting on one side, re-fix the handles, checking that the latch returns outwards.

If the handles are in some way very very slightly off square with the center line of the spindle / latch the positioning of the handles often causes the latch to refuse to return?

Hope the above is making sence?

Ken

What you can do if your latches and handles are not quite square is not tighten up the screws too tight , if you unscrew them slightly and give everything a squirt of silicone spray this can often solve your problem

It is a bit of trial and error though

Dismantle the lot and enlarge slightly the hole where the square bolt goes through.
Then as per last post instructions

Sponsored Links
do the handles have their own return springs?

Hi. Yes the handles have their own springs. Slightly rotating the bolt and the latch moves freely. Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back