Composite door with sidelights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Im in need of help.
I am about to install comopsite front door with side lights,my problem is the door is assembled to the frame and the side lights are built units, there are 2 steel joiners to join the door frame to the sidelights and 2 packers to go between wall and sidelights but how do you fix it to the building if you cant get inside the unit? and what part do i fit first ?do i build whole thing up then install as 1 unit? still not being able to fix sidelights to wall?

Sponsored Links
Deglaze the sidelights and open the door. Fixings through the door to the coupler are through the side lights to the coupler.

With Comp doors you have to fit them perfectly level, Square and plum.

I think you're best getting a fitter in for a bit of guidance. Let him fit it, he can show you step by step what he's doing, once installed you can then finish it off, best £100 you'd spend. Doors need to be spot on, level, plumb. Correct screws & drill bits are required, the list goes on... I certainly would risk ruining up to 1k of kit on my first attempt. Fair play for having a go though

If i have to deglaze the side panel to fit why do the company build them up why do they not come seperate like windows?
I find this a little strange?
Also i know maybe it best to get a door fitter but i do want to fit this door and will fit this door so any help will be great.
There is obviously a trick to this and im missing it

Sponsored Links
Hats off to anyone who is prepared to give something a go, to be able to stand back and say 'i did that' but alas i think you'll be saying it for the wrong reasons, its ok 'having a go' but if you've never fitted a door and frame then a 1k composite door is not the one to start practicing on

Just some friendly advice thats all

They pre glaze them to save space on the transport. Some window suppliers do it too

less chance of breaking the glass in transport, putting the glass in the frame is a tiny part of the job and, whipping the glass out is nothing to a fitter. ripping out the old door and fixing the new door correctly is the hard bit, getting things right early on in the process saves a lot of problems later on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back