compression fitting size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what does the 22mm refer to in a 22mm compression fitting? Is it the size of the nut? Will I therefore need a 22mm spanner?

I need to know what spanner size I need for that compression fitting.
I don't like the adjustable ones.

Sponsored Links
15/22/28mm etc refers to the pipe size. The nuts and fittings will be a far bigger size, some manufacturers used to make open ended spanners for use with their fittings.

I don't think they do nowadays, as most prople use an adjustable or grips. Buying an open end spanner to fit 22mm compression fittings isn't going to be cheap, and you'll need two. One to turn the nut, the other to hold the fitting...

Not helped by compression fittings having slightly different sizes due to differences in manufacturing practice. Also the fitting and the nut have different size hexes.

There's nothing much wrong with medium-high quality adjustable spanners, for doing up a compression fitting.

The problem I have with my adjustable spanners is that they often slip and damage the nut. I was going to use it on one nut to hold it in place and the other spanner on the other nut.

I believe I will have to use adjustable spanners though as you have pointed out that different manufacturers will use slightly different nut sizes.

However, I measured the size of one nut and found it to be 22 mm wide. That's why I thought the size of the compression fitting referred to the nut size (or that the pipe/compression size went along with a nut of a specific size).

Sponsored Links
In theory yes, should all be the same size but in practice no, unfortunately. On many poorly made (read: cheap) compression fittings the nut will actually deform under load and this is what causes the slipping. Better quality fittings don't suffer from such a problem. In my opinion the British Standard for compression fittings is adequate at best.

I can't justify buying an expensive spanner for just one nut when I already have one.

Before you tell me I might need it again, I've never really needed it in the past. I always try to use the fixed ones as much as possible.

Tool station do better ones.

Some fittings don't fit, some do. But if you're not going to buy decent tools why bother asking?

beg, borrow, steal?

I didn't say I didn't want to buy tools otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread. I don't want to buy what I already have.

And if some fit, some don't, I may be back to square one with an open spanner that does not fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back