Compund mitre saw or normal mitre saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i've been looking to get a mitre saw. First let me tell you what it will be used for and then good advice can be given. Basically i'll just be using it to cut timber with no angles as i will b making frames for a shed. I don't know how to cut angles just yet so am pretty fine in just a normal cut!

Now in looking for the saw i came across a mitre saw and a compund saw only thing is dunno what the difference is!!! I emailed the seller asking the difference but got no response so i still dunno what the difference is!

Anyone tell me in simple english what the difference is?

Sponsored Links
Striaght cuts, chop off saw

Head swivels, on the horizontal to cut angels, mitre saw

Head tilts on the vertical to cut angels, combined with above makes it possible to cut compound mitres, or an angle on a angle, compound mitre saw

A mitre saw can make angled cuts in the horizontal plane, and a compound mitre can make angled cuts in both horizontal and vertical planes. Depending on your needs which seem fairly basic at the moment, I would go for a mitre saw, because to get the same quality compound mitre you may have to spend considerably more money.

Sponsored Links
Personally i`d go for the compound.
It`ll give the option of the bevel cut which could save having to buy another saw at a later date.

Top quality kit is nice to have but even a £50 budget compound will be plenty accurate enough for most stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back