Compound mitre saw face-off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I don't normally buy cheap power tools however this is going to be an exception as it will not be used that much compared to say my drills etc...

I'm going to be needing to make some clean cuts to quite a substantial amount of timber and I gather a mitre saw will be a much cleaner cut than my old jigsaw. The max length is about 150mm piece of timber.

Now the budget is about £50 and I have seen two:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/98832...ws/Titan-8-Sliding-Mitre-Saw-With-Laser-230V#

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33136...Saws/Erbauer-10-ERB2502SE-Compound-Mitre-240V

The top one is the sliding mitre saw which will cut 200mmx60 the Erbaur one will only cut 140mmx67mm.

What will be the best one to use bearing in mind the erbaur one only cuts 140mm, the sliding saw will be more flexible even though 200mm isn't that much... not sure about the Titan brand though?

Or am I looking into the wrong thing here and a circular saw may do the same job?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
as long as you dont expect continuose accurate cuts day in and day out without ocasional adjustment:cool:

as long as you don't want to cut roof timbers or do trenching[half lap or mortice and tennon joins ect]

and if your on to compound mitres remember the thickness of the timber can effect your cuts

assuming its decking or simmilar where a degree out won't effect the finnish then go for the titan

i am not actualy saying the saw in question will be inacurate just saying it has a fair chance of being a tad out :D

Cheers. Yeah dont expect it to be very accurate I just thought it would me much more accurate than the old jigsaw.

The more I think of it now I may ditch the mitre saw idea and opt for a circular saw since I could easily knock up a straight edge jig for the saw to use on my work trestle. Also will be an advantage when ripping up longer boards in the future.

Handheld circ would be my pref if I had to choose.
The mitre saw type jobs can be substituted with a pair of decent handsaws, a crosscut and a tenon saw. Whereas the circ saw as you say is good for ripping and sheet work, saving you much more armwork than the mitre saw would for cutting small sections.

Sponsored Links
neds,

I bought the Titan one last week. I am only a diy'er so I don't use extensively. It has some fine adjustments so it is easy to adjust and get accurate, but as big-all says you will need to check and re-adjust every once in a while.

Other than that it seems pretty well put together. It has a depth stop so you can do cross-trenching but it is extremley fiddly to set-up so if you want to do a lot of that sort fo thing it probably isn't for you. I would replace the blade you get with it for something decent.

Or, if you want to go the circular saw route Plansnow.com has a article for a couple of quid which has a number of circular saw jigs for panel and cross cutting etc.

Cheers

Cheers for that iWater. Is this the sliding mitre saw I'm assuming? I think i might give that a miss. I'm speccing myself a small circular saw now, which is light and nimble. There is a ryobi one at B&Q for £33 which will fit the bill perfectly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back