Computer Controlled Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a little story about merging my computer skills with the central heating.

A few months ago I got fed up with adjusting the 24 hour timer I have on my boiler. The problem is I work different shifts so every week I would need to adjust the timer for the working week and then for the weekend. I had a look at the various timers you can buy but I couldn't seem to find one that could fit my needs, that is, a three weekly pattern. So then I had an idea... I would put together my own.
I should explain that I have a computer running all day that acts as my media server. I set to work to task it with controlling the heating as well. First I bought a Velleman K8055. This is a USB connected circuit board with some inputs and outputs. I wired up an output to the boiler and hey presto I could switch the heating on and off using a command on the computer. A bit of programming later and I ended up with a web page from which I can turn the heating off and on and activate the timer. This is the best part for me :LOL:. I can set my timer to run a particular heating program for any day I choose. I can program it weeks/months in advance if I want. The web page is accessible from the Internet as well so I can turn the heating on or off if, for example, I leave work early.
Since then I've connected a temperature sensor and have started logging the temperature change in my lounge. Here's the webpage for my heating,
and here's the computer on which it runs,
I should point out the computer uses an Intel Atom chip so doesn't use a lot of power.

Just thought this might be of interest to someone as I haven't seen many examples of this.

Ben

Sponsored Links
Very interesting, would be great if you could have weather compensation too.

There is room for another temperature sensor so I could add one to monitor the outside temperature. Then I would need to create a program to adjust the timer based on the recorded temperature. It would be neat but time is always against me :)

Ben

Sponsored Links
Hi I have just come across this thread and am extremely interested in setting up a similar set up for my home, can you please let me know if you wrote the software from scratch or evolved something you found on the WEB.
I would be very grateful of any help you can give me.
Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back