computer wont boot up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my computer keep going back to the boot up screen. it says this has happened due to a recent power failure, hardware or software installation. each time i try to load windows which it gives me three options i.e either normally, last good config or safe mode it keeps coming back to the same screen whichever one i choose. i have tried booting it up from the backup cds to reload windows and it seems to bypass this even though the boot sequence it set to boot first from cd. the only thing which i can think has caused this was i deleted my antivirus software nod 32 as it did not seem to be working correctly. i asked the it guy at work what could be wrong and he said my hard drive had probably gone but surely this cannot have happened from just removing one programme. any thoughts or answers to my dilema would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What version of windows are you using? Is it XP?

yes its windows xp had the computer for about 5 years and had no problems up until installing and using this nod 32.

It sounds like the NT loader files have been damaged.

becks1 said:
i have tried booting it up from the backup cds to reload windows and it seems to bypass this even though the boot sequence it set to boot first from cd.

Are you sure it's bypassing? When you have an O/S installed, you will get a single line message asking if you want to boot from CD. It only appears for 5 seconds.

Sponsored Links
Yes definately keep bypassing this dont get the line saying press any key to boot from cd.

Beck, Have you actually checked in the BIOS that

1: The system is seeing the Optical Drive, and that

2: The system is actually trying to boot from the Optical drive first?

If the Optical Drive died, that would explain the second problem, and usually the Boot sequence is Floppy, HDD and then Optical. The only way to change this is within the BIOS, which is entered, usually, by hitting the delete key on the Boot screen, iof it's a Dell or some others it may be F2 or F12.

will have to double check this when i get home but im sure the system should show the optical drives as they have been installed for years it is a dell and your right you have to press f2 caus this is how i checked what the boot sequence was set to.

stulz just checked the bios now and the system is showing both my cd drives also the boot sequence is definately set to cd rom device then hard disk drive then diskette drive. im stuck

somehow by fiddling with the bios and swapping my reinstallation cd from one drive to another i have managed to get it to boot from cd. just reinstalling my windows now. still strange though why i got the problem in the first place as all i did was remove nod 32 from my system.

Sponsored Links
Back