concealed door closers-help removing/refitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The concealed type door closers are mounted mid way between the hinges. The last one I took off by removing 4 screws in the frame was very tricky to get back on cos of the tension. Should I have done this or seperated from the door itself to ease refitting. What is the trick with these to make life easier when removing/refitting the door. Thanks. John

Sponsored Links
The concealed door closers are a bit longer than your finger and are set into the door. the chain is sprung loaded & strong. originally there was a strip of metal, bent at the top to hold it & a slot at the bottom which just fitted between the links of the chain when the door is fully open. Then close the door a bit and the strip will stop the chain from pulling the frame plate back then unscrew. keep the strip in pos til rehung
u could make the strip if u have a hacksaw & an angle bkt

You can also pull the door fully open, to extend the chain as far as it will go, and poke a carpet tack (with the sharpened square shaft) into the last link, this will stop it being pulled back in.

You might be able to grip it with a claw hammer, too.

Sponsored Links
I completely missed the idea of locking the chain to stop it recoiling back!! Just shows it pays to ask. Thanks to you both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back