help fitting door closers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to put door closers on internal doors for an HMO licence. The doors are old panelled doors with moulded facings. We bought surface mounted closers from screwfix the type that fits half way down the door frame with the rod that slides along the door to push it shut. We have fitted one but fully wound up it only takes the door to about 4 inches from closed. The actual door surface is 1 inch set back from the frame so the part of the closer on the frame and the part on the door are not level with each other. Is this what is causing it not to close properly. The instructions that came with them are very basic. I chose these as they dont look too bad on the doors but should I go for a different type of closer. Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
i personally dont think there man enough for the type of door you have,on the instructions did they give a max weight on how much the d/closure wil work with?
i think you will either have to fit the perco type (concealled)door closure or the over head ones.
you havnt got rising butts on the doors have you?
do the doors close cleanly without any resistance?i:e binding anywhere.

Perko closers are not only more effective, they are also far neater.

If you get them, be sure to put the little bit of metal used for blocking the chain somwhere very safe - tie a label to one and put it in your spare keys locker. If it is not labelled it wil get lost or thrown away. You will need it when the door has to come off for decorationg or moving furniture; or if you need to adjust them.

Screwfix also sell a copy by Eclipse that is a lot cheaper. I don't know if it is as good.

Sponsored Links
The door mounted ones aren't aimed at the fire door market, more the keep a door closed to keep draughts out market. Often only Perko or overhead closers are acceptable in HMO's so I doubt they'd satisfy your inspector. You get what you pay for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back