Attach door closer with little room above door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to put a surface mounted door closer on the pull side of my flat door. As you can see from the image below there is only about 1cm of door frame directly above my door which is not enough room for the regular arm to be attached.
IMAG0857.jpg

Any idea how a door closer could be fitted in this environment? The best idea I have is to fix some wood that's 10cm deep under the base of the door closer so it then becomes in line with the outer door frame.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It turns out I have a Perkomatic 85R6 Hydraulic Concealed Door Closer already installed! This explains how the door is able to close by itself but it doesn't seem to support a latch action. If it I adjust the tension screw then the door simply closes with more force. Would it be possible to get a direct replacement that fits the same hole but also has a latch action?

The latch action is entirely separate from the door closing action. Select a latch that does not require so much force on the door.

Sponsored Links
The latch action is entirely separate from the door closing action
Slightly confused by that. I found a version that says "Smooth controlled closing mechanism with latching action" and goes onto further to say "you can adjust the latching action on the part that goes into the frame. this means you can adjust the time that the latching action starts."

When looking into surface mounted door closers there was a latching action that slowed down the door before it closed so it didn't slam shut like my door currently does. Is this different for Concealed Door Closers?

The "latching action" of a door closer is related to fire doors and how much force is needed to open them. The force has to be enough to prevent the door being opened by air pressure from the fre but low enough to enable people needing to escape to open the door. A normal door latch would be separate from the door closure.

Google found this

The "latching action" of a door closer is related to fire doors and how much force is needed to open them.
That seems to contradict what I have read on other sites:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-Latch-Action-On-A-Door-Closer
"This control allows the speed of the last few degrees of the door closing to be adjusted, so that there is [just] enough acceleration to drive the latch bolt over the strike plate. Without this acceleration, it is possible that the closer will not provide enough energy left to swing the door into the shut position."
http://www.doorfit.co.uk/using-our-products/access-control-2/how-to-correctly-adjust-a-door-closer/
"The latching speed of a door is the speed taken for the door to close and latch shut over the last 15 to 0 degrees of its closing phase. As one of the most crucial stages of the closing process, if this phase is too slow the door may not latch, whilst allowing it to close too fast could create a finger-trapping hazard."

My door has a Tubular Latch and as I understand from the following video the Latching Action of a Concealed Door Closer will ensure that enough force is applied in the last moments to ensure the door is fully closed. The Latching Action is a different speed from the Closing Action so it doesn't matter what speed the door is closing at the force used to get the latch over the strike plate will be the same each time. This ensures the door never slams shut or closes too slowly that it doesn't close fully.

One of the most important things with a fire door is you need to have that little bit of a latching action right the end to overcome the latch to make sure that the door closes back into position properly therefore if there's a fire than the doors in the frame correctly.

Last edited:
you are correct for both types the door closes on the closer and then for the last part of the travel it exerts a bit more force to ensure the door latches closed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back