How to reduce noise from opening doors that swing inwards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I had a row of custom closets built to divide my room into a dressing area and a sleep area. The entrance into the sleep area was supposed to be hidden behind two closet doors.

Unfortunately, the builders constructed these two doors to swing open inwards, not outwards like the other closet doors.

That's OK, but the doors open and close rather noisily because of the catch the builders installed. If the doors aren't closed in the correct sequence, they will also knock into each other because there's a strip of wood in the middle of one of the doors. I'm not sure what it's called but it's supposed to cover the gap between the two closet doors.

I've attached photos of the back of the doors and the door catch below.

The noise is a big issue because my wife is a very light sleeper. In fact, we had the room divided that way so that I could get dressed without waking her up.

What can I do to improve the doors? My main objective is to make opening and closing the doors as silent as possible. I was thinking of installing two door closers, but there may not be room for that.

Thanks!

View media item 50800
View media item 50801

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back