How do I remove this UPVC hinge ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

We are getting quite a draught coming between the door and frame on our UPVC front door, it's on the hinge side and I've popped the covers off to have a look at it.
There are hex screws to adjust the door left to right and back / forth (closer/further from the frame).
I've wound up the screws as much as they will go to push the door closer to the frame, but there is still a cold draught coming through.. after a closer look it appears there are what look like two spacer plates between the frame and hinge on each one (there are 3 hinges)

I'm thinking I can remove one of these plates from each hinge which will bring the door closer to the frame and hopefully create a nice seal.. but I can't figure out how the hinges come away from the frame.

The red arrow in the image below shows what I'm trying to remove.
I figured that there would be screws that would be accessible when the door was remove (not sure how that comes off either though!) - but I've looked at the hinge with the door open and can't see any screw heads in the area where the blue arrow is..

Anyone know how these things come off ??

Sponsored Links
Anyone ?

It's freezing downstairs at the moment since all the cold is coming right through the gap in the door..

I'm loathed to pay anyone to come and tinker with it since as of Thursday i'm unemployed so can't really afford it at the mo.

Looking at your pic,,, Could you possibly put some packers behind the wide bit of the hinge (on the left of the pic) that's fixed to the door itself? Looks like there are some screws there holding it on to the actual door

hi swift these hinges are unusual if you 1/4 turn the second allen key (i think if not the first closest to the frame near red arrow ) on all the hinges the door will then lift off if you have enough room. be carefull it will be heavy . if no room you may have to knock the main pins out from undernearh this can be tricky ! hope this helps
rob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back