Concealed mixer shower depth in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys advice needed,
I am trying to fit a concealed mixer shower in a bare stud wall to be cement boarded over. The problem I have is the death from the front plate of the shower valve, the bit that goes on the tiles, to the pipes on the shower valve is 20mm max. The way I see it if I completely hide the pipes in the stud wall there is not enough gap as on top of the stud wall you have 12mm baker board, 12mm tile and 3mm adhesive making 27mm and I only have 20mm. Is this a problem anyone else has seen?

Sponsored Links
The mixer shower has no make on it but looks to be good quality apart from the depth limitations.

Sponsored Links
Can you provide a link to the shower valve on their site?

The body of the mixer needs to be mounted so that the front face (the back of the cover plate shown on the technical drawing on the web page) is flush to the front of your cement board.

Can't make out (from the drawing) where the connections are though.

From the dimension drawings via the link, it seems pretty obvious that the whole of the body of the shower doesn't have to fit entirely behind your backer board/tiles. The fascia plate is sufficiently large to cover an appropriate opening.

The face plate would need to sit on the tiles and not the backer board as it is a chrome plate. The dimensions are actually wrong in the diagram the distance fom the pipe center to the max face plate extension is actually 30mm and when you measure from the nut on the fixing to the hot and cold inlet to the max faceplate length this is 20mm.
The faceplate is quite large so I guess I could have a hole in the cement board and tle up the the shower mixer valve and then cover the gaps with the face plate, not ideal.

Maybe not ideal, but not entirely unusual. Befor the final fit, when all is done and checked, you'll have to create a seal betweel the back of the fascia plate and the tiles. A thin bead of clear silicon will suffice (set back from the edge of the plate to prevent it smearing around the edge), although this will make removing it a bit of a ball-ache in future :confused: Cleaning of the inexorable mould can be done with chemicals and a toothbrush.

As the dimensions on the web are different than what I have and would be ideal for me and solve the problem I am going to swap the shower valve fingers crossed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back