Concerned about shed supply earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again.

At the weekend I decided to fit a new light fitting to the shed to replace an old one which was powered from a socket inside the shed (socket held on with tape and not screwed on) :(

When I took the old light off I found there was no earth - ie cable had just live and neutral wires - so I abandoned the job and took the fuse out the plug to make it safe. To be fair the old light was just an old bulkhead and there was nowhere for an earth wire to connect.

But I'm a bit concerned about the way the shed has been wired up now. It has a consumer unit (hager) which is fed from the consumer unit in the house, and there is wiring to 3 double sockets (one of which the screws have gone rusty), and 2 striplights. The wire used "looks" like the wire used for the old outdoor shed light.

I'm getting an electrician to fit another outdoor light anyway bit I'm thinking of asking him to check the general wiring in the shed. Surely the shed hasn't been wired up with no earth???

R

Sponsored Links
I'm getting an electrician to fit another outdoor light anyway bit I'm thinking of asking him to check the general wiring in the shed. Surely the shed hasn't been wired up with no earth???

Who knows...? You're basing that on the fact that the cable 'looks' similar, but are you even 100% sure that the cable used for the light fitting didn't have an earth conductor? It could have been twin + CPC with the bare copper CPC simply stripped back.

Still, it does, one the whole, sound like you may have a bit of a botched installation. We can't see the job, but your electrician will hopefully be able to provide sound advice as he can inspect things properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back