Concerns about a lean to...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if I could trouble you all for a bit of advice please.

I am planning a timber lean to with a corrugated plastic roof. which will 'block off' the open access from the front of the house to the garden, with a door in the wall at each end.

The roof is going to be supported on timber posts which in turn are going to be directly screwed into the outside of my property and also into my neighbours' brick garage (so actually less leaning to!). I was planning on using a standard design from the internet with regular vertical posts along the side walls and then a 'studded' wall with a door frame for either end.
roof will be 45 degree angle, flush to my house and then into guttering against garage.

I thought this seemed a pretty rigid structure which would be well secured by being attached to two walls but having read several other posts on here got slightly concerned by other lean to/ports collapsing and pulling the walls down.

wonder if you could advise if the rough plan above is sensible or not please.
previous posts talk about raised legs and assume that is being advised for those folks who are putting a leaning roof directly into the wall with only supporting legs on the other side?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It occurs to me to ask how your neighbour feels about this.

How is rain water going to drain away so moss accumulation and brick efflorescence is limited? Water should not be allowed to pool; particularly in any valley formed against your neighbours property

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the thought Nozzle, I had envisaged a sloped guttering at the end of the roof, draining from front elevation of the structure to the back. Such that roof not directly adhered to the garage, but down onto the supporting beams, with gutter between roof and garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back