concord wrs boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a problem with the boiler in my house which is about 26years old, the boiler stopped working , the time lights were out , so i changed the timer , it worked but the gas valve supply was not live! the supply is from an old round plug lead & socket which seems to have no live ! the wall stat has a supply, i plugged another kettle lead to the gas valve & the boiler lights up but does'nt stay on long( i thought , ah pump not workin , but there does'nt seem to be a pump in the system,oh yer the central heating is downstairs only ) the water is gettin hot but the radiators are not heating at all, ( i should say i am c&g elec also its a concord wrs boiler with a drayton control for the tank stat & it only has ch valve which seems to be in the open position. can u please help me ? can these old systems run with no pump ? if no where is it ? :eek: p.s. i've checked attic no pump!

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure that I understand what you're saying, but I'll have a go.

(1) The time-switch has been replaced and now works
(2) You are getting hot water OK
(3) You are not getting central heating

I would suspect the zone valve (2-port) on the CH side. Check the switched live on the orange wire. If it doesn't switch to 230V then replace the entire valve or head. If you want to find the pump, then follow the orange wire and you'll find it eventually.

Possibly gravity hot water with no MV and the pump wired through the stat and boiler as in when demand for heat is satisfied the pump switches off leaving the boiler on for the gravity water.

Could be no pump, the system could well be a single-pipe gravity heating system but the stat wouldn't be required in this sort of system.

Think in the really old single-pipe systems they used a wax capsule room-stat which somehow controlled the boiler gas valve.

Hey thats a big help to me ! i have found the pump ! omg it was boxed in in the corner of the room . i am gonna check everything u have told me up to now . the only thing i am a little concerned about is the facted the gas valve & the pump are supplied by out of date round socket & plugs & i dont seem to be able to trace the wiring. also to make it a lil hard they have'nt colour coded anything in the timer, so i am gonna track everything back with my multimeter ! Hey i am real grateful for ur help , thanks for letting pick ur brains !

Sponsored Links
Right i've pulled the boxing from round the pump & there is no supply to it , it's also supply via a round plug & socket very old stuff, anyway when the timer is showing the water and heating is on there is no supply going to the gas valve or the pump , is it right that the pump and gas valve get there supply from the timer & room stat . and do you think it could be the timer ? i am going to take a supply to the pump & see if it spins . and help here would be most kindly received ! it is strange because i have'nt changed any of the wiring while swapping timers & it worked before , but its like the pump & gas valves wiring has been cut ! unfortunately a lot of the wiring is hidden inside the kitchen unit wall ! maybe a dead rat in there with a wire in its mouth! lol

I get where ur coming from but the timer i replaced was identical so i just replace it making sure all the wiring was the same ! i've ran a seperate supply to the pump & the gas valve & the heating works fine , but the room stat is'nt on anymore ! could you tell me is the pump & gas valve supply direct from the timer , or is the pump controlled by the room state?

The room stat has a supply in & out but the pump has nothing , i set the timer last night & left the old plug in for the gas valve & the pump , the hot water had worked as the water was hot but the heating never came on. i am now look for wiring diagrams so if the worst comes to worst i'll try rewiring the system . but i am hoping i can sort it out b4 that. hmm i am confused to say the least , as if the room stat works the pump & the supply is coming out the otherside of the stat .how hav'nt i got a supply on the pump ? any links to wiring diagrams gratefully excepted ! Thanks again for all comments & i hope i can sort it b4 the cold weather get here on the weekend !:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back