Concrete Door Pillar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon on a lazy Sunday

Can someone please advice me on the best way to secure the concrete door pillar below. I installed a new uPVC door which was attached to the pillars. Over the last couple of months the opening and closing of the door as made the pillar come away from the brickwork and the mortar fall away on the exterior. The pillar is 110mm in depth and 220mm wide.

Cheers Leigh

Sponsored Links
I would use 12x150mm thunder bolts. Chop the heads off and weld them to 12mm x 300mm threaded bar. Say about four.

Then drill through from the outside and leave each hole whistling clean.
(ie. no dust) Drill bits you'll need are 12, 16 and 25mm for the thunder bolt, chemical anchor volume space and head concealment.
A shoulder seating needs to be left using the larger dia bit to tighten the nut and washer and allow concealement of the head.
Tighten up and pull the post back as far as possible.
When your satisfied with the distance you've pulled it back then remove each nut individually and fill with a chemical anchor resin carefully following the MI's and retighten.
Then the same procedure with the other three one at a time. And no banging the door until the resin is fully set.

Many Thanks Norcon

I cannot weld so i wouldn'nt be able to join th thunder bolts to the bars. Could i use 200mm thunderbolts and then follow the rest of your instructions?

Thanks
Leigh

200mm is too short. You want the anchor set deep inside the blockwork. The chemical anchoring is a secondary fixing and you also want this grabbing the inner blockwork.

Take the pieces to a garage or fabrication works and they will weld it for you and make a spare one.

Sponsored Links
Leigh, are the frames on other properties fitted to the door pillar like that? I bet if you take a look, they're set further back (say ~75mm) and fixed directly to the brickwork skin. If you had fitted the frame direct to the brickwork that wouldn't have happened. I would be tempted to refit.......

Thankyou Norton and Hotrod for your advice. I refitted the door today, removed the concrete facades and will replace with bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back