New door into single skin brick garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first post on here.

Experienced long term DIYer, looking for some advice on my latest project, which is adding a new side door into the single skin detached garage on our 10 month old new build house. I have attached a couple of pictures - one external, where the new doorway will be just to the right of the trellis. The other is an inside picture, showing the support pillar which will be to the left of the new door.

I've ordered my side door which is a powder coated steel door & frame to match the existing Hormann garage door. Chose this because it uses a corner frame, so mounted externally it will hide the cuts made - it is 875 x 1875 in size which was the closest match to cutting out full bricks.

Planning to use a Catnic ANG 1200mm L' lintel which I was going to do via raking out the mortar over about 5 bricks on the inside and bedding it on new mortar for a day or two before starting the cutting. The door aperture will be exactly 4 bricks (plus mortar) wide.

So - questions:

1. There is a fair amount of brickwork above, so guessing that an acrow prop and strongboy would be a good idea on the inside of the garage, a course or two above where I will be raking out for the lintel?

2. Using an 'L' lintel like the ANG 1200, do I push it into place internally and then try to pack underneath with something like roofing slate - and then pack with mortar? Is there anything else like an adhesive which would also work?

3. Once dry, I was thinking of knocking out the full four brick widths after raking out the edges, and then finally cut off the 'teeth' of the alternate courses afterwards.

Any other thoughts or comments welcome!

Cheers

Matt

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Just cut the slot for the lintel with a suitable disc saw and slide it in. No need for arrows.

You probably need a pier each side of the opening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back